Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Andrrr
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks! I have a pot simmering right now. ofelles

• ofelles
    commented on 's reply
    See above, straightened up. enjoy

• Andrrr
    replied
    Hey ofelles can you update the condensed soup ingredient quantities? Looks like they fell victim to that update a while back.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    replied
    Missed this last year but I got it now

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Yea I think the first one is a winner. Isn't that a modification from a former recipe of yours? I know I have that one in Paprika. Being Hatch season I will give that one a try, although it would probably be just as good with Anaheims. Thanks !!!

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Thanks, Brother!

Loves me some Tortilla soup, an this sounds like a great way to make me some!

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    Couldn’t help but think of that boneless chicken ranch where them there chickens come from.
    Do skinless chickens still have feathers?
    Last edited by FireMan; August 31, 2021, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    Sounds very tasty, many thanks fer sharin!!!

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Looks good to me.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    started a topic Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup

Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup

I thought I had posted this before but I can’t find it so here ya go. Modified/combined from several recipes.

Chicken Hatch Chile Tortilla Soup

Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:
    • 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken 2 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts (1-2lb total)
    • 2 tablespoon olive oil, divided
    • 1½ teaspoon cumin
    • 1½ teaspoon Ancho chili powder
    • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    • ½ teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup onion, diced
    • ¼ cup green bell pepper, diced (or to up the heat with fresh Hatch green chilis)
    • ¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
    • 3 cloves garlic, minced
    • 6-8 oz roasted hatch green chile, chopped
    • 20 oz condensed cream of chicken soup (see recipe below)
    • 26 oz cream or milk
    • 1 can (10oz Can) Rotel tomatoes and green chilies
    • 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
    • 3 tablespoons masa or cornmeal
    • 5 whole corn tortillas, cut into uniform strips (around 2" to 3")
    • Chicken broth, to adjust consistency, if needed
    Garnishes
    • Sour cream
    • Avocados, diced
    • Salsa or Pico De Gallo
    • Monterey jack cheese, grated
    • Cilantro
    • Corn tortilla chips, crushed
    Preparation:
    1. (Try smoking the chicken 180°F with hickory or mesquite) Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
    2. Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until chicken is done (or smoke). Use two forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
    3. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over med-high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the spice mix and the roasted hatch chile, stir to combine. Mix in soup mix, cream or milk, tomatoes, tomato paste, and shredded chicken then stir to mix. Bring to just a boil, then reduce heat to a low simmer. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, uncovered.
    4. Mix masa or cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Add more broth to adjust if needed then check seasonings, adding more if needed---add more chili powder if it needs more spice, and be sure not to under salt. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 to 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
    5. Ladle into bowls, serve with garnishes.

(Condensed) Mexican Cream of Chicken Soup

Yield: About 2½ cups, or the approximate equivalent of 2-10oz cans of condensed soup

Ingredients:
    • ½ tsp salt
    • ¼ tsp garlic powder
    • ¼ tsp freshly-ground black pepper
    • ¼ tsp onion powder
    • tsp celery seed
    • tsp dried thyme
    • ¼ cup cooked chicken, finely diced
    • 5 tablespoons of butter
    • ½ cup masa harina
    • 1½ cups chicken stock
    • ¾ cup cream or milk

Preparation:
    1. Heat 5 tbsp butter in a large saucepan over med-high heat until melted. Add the masa harina, and stir until combined. Let the mixture cook for 2 minutes, or until the flour is cooked and is slightly toasted.
    1. Then gradually whisk in chicken stock until the mixture is completely smooth. Stir in the cream/milk and the seasonings.
    1. Reduce heat to medium, and bring the mixture back to a very low boil, stirring constantly so that the bottom of the pan does not burn. Let the mixture simmer for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Then stir in the chicken, and remove pan from the heat.
    1. Either use the condensed soup in a recipe immediately, or transfer it to airtight containers and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
    Note: This condensed homemade cream of chicken soup recipe is simple to make, easy to customize, and even tastier than the original canned version! This recipe is NOT meant to be consumed as-is. It is a concentrated soup, which means that it needs to be diluted to be eaten as a soup, or mixed into a recipe that calls for condensed soup
    Last edited by ofelles; April 16, 2023, 11:06 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here