Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Made French Onion Soup Au Gratin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Made French Onion Soup Au Gratin

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6055.JPG Views:	0 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	1081224
    Richard Chrz I hope you like it.

Ingredients: 4 servings

Olive oil
    3 lbs of onions sliced
    Pat of butter
    Dash of sugar
    4 oz mushrooms finely finely chopped. I use a food processor.
    3/4 cup of white wine
    A few sprigs of thyme
    32 oz good beef stock
    3 tbsp Parmesan Cheese
    4 slices of baguette for crouton
    Gruyère or Swiss cheese
    Kosher Salt to taste
    Pepper to taste

Directions

1. Caramelize Onions
    2. While onions are caramelizing add the pat of butter, the dash of sugar, a little Kosher salt and pepper
    3. When the onions are almost done caramelizing add the finely chopped mushrooms and thyme. Be careful not to use too much thyme as it can over power the rest of the flavors.
    4. When the mushrooms start to release their moisture, deglaze with white wine and reduce by half.
    5. Add beef stock and simmer, reducing a little.
    6. While simmering, add the parmesan cheese
    7. Also while simmering, toast the baguette slices for croutons and preheat your broiler.
    8. When you feel the soup is done simmering, taste and add any final seasoning.
    9. Ladle into broiler safe ramekins, add crouton and top with generous amount of cheese.
    10. Broil until cheese is brown and bubbly.
    11. Serve and enjoy

Notes:

You can also deglaze with a good red wine. This gives a deeper heavier flavor. I omit the mushrooms if I use red wine. The white wine seems to give a lighter flavor and the mushrooms really add some umami.
    Last edited by troymeister; August 22, 2021, 08:30 AM.

Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Comment

This is fantastic Troy. I love a good French onion soup. This goes first into Paprika then onto the list. Thanks bud !!!

Note: More of this kind of recipe presentation guys, it ain't rocket science

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Troutman ...Thanks...Let me know how it works out for you. My family prefers the white wine and mushroom version over the red wine version.
        Last edited by troymeister; August 22, 2021, 08:44 AM.

Looks delicious. Thanks Troy.

Comment

• troymeister
        troymeister commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like we are almost neighbors.

• Draznnl
        Draznnl commented
        Editing a comment
        For another few weeks, troymeister. I'm moving to Florida in October.

Looks great and I'm sure it tastes even better!

Comment

Thanks. I've been meaning to do this for a while and your post has put this right behind things that I have to cook before they go bad.

Comment

Thanks troymeister I love French Onion Soup.
          Your recipe is very simple. Simple is good.
          I shall try this one. 👍

Comment

After all the excitement about Troutman 's FOS that was actually made by troymeister I had to add this to Paprika. I think I'll be making it for dinner extremely soon!

Comment

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              Let me know how it works out. I developed this recipe over time by following other recipes and eventually just doing it without a recipe actually taking note of what I was doing..lol

@troymeister What kind of onions did you use?

Comment

• troymeister
              troymeister commented
              Editing a comment
              wrgilb just regular yellow onions. You can use any kind you want. Some times I mix half red and half yellow. Vidalia onions work well too.

Looks like a great recipe! One of the great culinary contributions from the French!

Comment

Thanks for sharing this with us. There is no better recipe for the fall and winter. I love me some French Onion Soup. I mean, anything with caramelized onions gets my vote.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                And cheese. Don’t forget the cheese.

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah, gotta have that!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here