Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Texas Chili--Let Me "Stir The Pot". ;«)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BruceB
    replied
    I made a batch of this Texas Red yesterday using a good portion of smoked brisket flat and some point to make up the needed volume. It took longer to cook down and for the flavors to get happy than I expected, so it's aging in the fridge for today. Since the brisket was already cooked, I didn't add it at the start, I figured it would fall apart. Without the meat it it, it was pretty harsh for the first couple of hours, seemed bitter. I almost threw it out! Once I added the cubed brisket and let it cook some more, it came around nicely, I added a hearty squirt of agave to tame it a bit. Looking forward to having it for lunch today while watching NASCAR. Talladega and chili

Update: Pulled it out after a night melding flavors, and it's awesome!
    Last edited by BruceB; April 25, 2021, 06:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Nice.

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    bbqLuv - I do that now, but sometimes it's still to hot for her, and thanks fer the suggestion.

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    I understand the Heat from the peppers is in the seeds and the white membrane on the inside. Suggest removing the seed and scrape out the white. I like the flavor of peppers but the older I get the less heat I can take.
    Chili/chilli pairs well with PBR.

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Correction, there are 2 "L"s in Chilli when spelled the way. "Chilli Con Carne"
    And if you put salt in your beer you get a little head.

• tenphases
    commented on 's reply
    🤣🤣

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    LMFAO tenphases !!!!

Yeah, Buddy! Brooklyn Salsa! (It's th water!)

• tenphases
    commented on 's reply
    Mmmm Brooklyn Salsa 🤣🤣🤣

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Well isn't that like buying salsa made in New....York....City !! That's a hanging offense in these parts !!!

(just messin' with you Jersey guy)

• tenphases
    commented on 's reply
    I was just teasing, I've tried chilli every which way. I always have plenty of meat because I tend to screw up my brisket flats lol. The only thing I always do is smoke the meat and veggies before they go in the pot. I love authentic and I love innovation, it's all good!

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    I always use beans in my chili, maters too. I wuz just posting an "authentic recipe" cuz so many here think tomatoes belong in the "original chili". They don’t. Not that I care about that. Bring on the beans and tomatoes for me.

• tenphases
    replied
    I put 3 types of beans in my chilli. Red, Black, and pinto....dont judge me. 😶

Leave a comment:

• Willy
    commented on 's reply
    Ancho and guajillo should be mild (no guarantees ). Avoid de arbols.

ETA: New Mexican Chiles labeled " mild" would also work.
    Last edited by Willy; April 10, 2021, 09:15 AM.

• Michael_in_TX
    commented on 's reply
    I once ate a bowl of chilly chili in a chilly Chili's.

• latenight71
    replied
    Dried beef , suet and chile peppers and salt ground on a molcajete and shaped into "bricks" and dried in the sun. Mexican soldiers would cook the "bricks" in boiling water to make a beef stew or chile con carne. No Beans.

i do like beans, however, so i am guily of adding them to my chile con carne from time to time.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here