Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Authentic Texas Chili--Let Me "Stir The Pot". ;«)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Authentic Texas Chili--Let Me "Stir The Pot". ;«)

The website at the link here is worth visiting--all stuff spicy. So, here's a Texas chili recipe from that site: https://www.chilipeppermadness.com/recipes/texas-chili/ No beans and no 'maters. LOL

Mine is very similar. I smoke the meat (usually brisket) and veggies first, and once assembled I finish it in a smoker. It's probably the most commented on dish I make for family and friends.

Comment

Great site, I use it a lot!

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Good on ya! Me too.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here. Going to try to make some hot sauces later this year using his guidance.

Yup, that be Chili con Carne alright !!! Here's mine for what it's worth.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	chili 02.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	1015464

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        A thing of beauty.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice.

NO BEANS IN CHILLI! The way it should be!

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Nor are there two "L’s" in chili! ;<)

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I once ate a bowl of chilly chili in a chilly Chili's.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Correction, there are 2 "L"s in Chilli when spelled the way. "Chilli Con Carne"
        And if you put salt in your beer you get a little head.

I love beans in chili, but I also love chili without beans. Now I need to make some Texas Red...

Thanks for posting this.

However, anything hotter than mild is too hot for my wife, and sometimes mild is too hot, so what should I use for peppers. I'd like to use several varieties...

Comment

• Willy
        Willy commented
        Editing a comment
        Ancho and guajillo should be mild (no guarantees ). Avoid de arbols.

ETA: New Mexican Chiles labeled " mild" would also work.
        Last edited by Willy; April 10, 2021, 09:15 AM.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        I understand the Heat from the peppers is in the seeds and the white membrane on the inside. Suggest removing the seed and scrape out the white. I like the flavor of peppers but the older I get the less heat I can take.
        Chili/chilli pairs well with PBR.

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv - I do that now, but sometimes it's still to hot for her, and thanks fer the suggestion.

That's close to one of my recipes. Substitute lard or tallow for the olive oil. And there's no use for Worcestershire sauce. But otherwise it's solid and spot on.

Of course, I have recipes with beans and tomatoes, too. I love them all.

Comment

Dried beef , suet and chile peppers and salt ground on a molcajete and shaped into "bricks" and dried in the sun. Mexican soldiers would cook the "bricks" in boiling water to make a beef stew or chile con carne. No Beans.

i do like beans, however, so i am guily of adding them to my chile con carne from time to time.

Comment

I put 3 types of beans in my chilli. Red, Black, and pinto....dont judge me. 😶

Comment

• tenphases
            tenphases commented
            Editing a comment
            Mmmm Brooklyn Salsa 🤣🤣🤣

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            LMFAO tenphases !!!!

Yeah, Buddy! Brooklyn Salsa! (It's th water!)

• tenphases
            tenphases commented
            Editing a comment
            🤣🤣

I made a batch of this Texas Red yesterday using a good portion of smoked brisket flat and some point to make up the needed volume. It took longer to cook down and for the flavors to get happy than I expected, so it's aging in the fridge for today. Since the brisket was already cooked, I didn't add it at the start, I figured it would fall apart. Without the meat it it, it was pretty harsh for the first couple of hours, seemed bitter. I almost threw it out! Once I added the cubed brisket and let it cook some more, it came around nicely, I added a hearty squirt of agave to tame it a bit. Looking forward to having it for lunch today while watching NASCAR. Talladega and chili

Update: Pulled it out after a night melding flavors, and it's awesome!
          Last edited by BruceB; April 25, 2021, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here