Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Posolé Rojo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Posolé Rojo

Here's my recipe.

Posolé Rojo

Yield: 8 servings

Ingredients:
    • 1lb dried hominy
    • 2 garlic heads, 1 head peeled, cloves whole and remainder peeled and sliced
    • 6½ lbs Pork butt, cut into 2"to 3" pieces(see smoking note below)
    • 2 lbs ham hocks or shanks or some pork neck bones
    • 10-12 cups homemade chicken broth, more if needed
    • 1large white onion, coarsely chopped, divided
    • 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
    • 1½ tsp ground cumin
    • 2 bay leaves
    • 3 tbsp ancho chili powder or 3 tsp chipotle chili powder, divided
    • 2 teaspoons annatto seeds, divided
    • Lard or oil (if not smoking the pork)
    • 4-6 oz dried Anchoes or Guajilo chilies or fire roasted Hatch chilies
    • 1½ cups boiling-hot water or chicken broth homemade
    • 15 to 20 tomatillos, paper skins removed, rinsed and stem removed
    • 2-3 fresh Hatch chiles or Ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
    • 2 teaspoons salt, plus 1 teaspoon, careful with salt
    • ¼ cup fresh cilantro, minced
    • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, more to taste
    • Tortilla strips, diced avocado, thinly sliced green cabbage, chopped white onion, diced radishes, lime wedges, jalapeño slices and dried hot red pepper flakes, for accompaniments
    Preparation:
    1. If using dried hominy; soak for at least 6 hours. In a large pot add enough water/chicken stock to cover the hominy by 3". Add all but 2 whole peeled garlic cloves and cook over med heat until done, watching water level, about 1½ to 3 hours.

2. Add all but 1 cup of broth to a 7 to 8qt heavy kettle add sliced garlic, hocks/neck bones, ½ the onions, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, 2 tbsp chile powder and 1 tsp annatto seeds and bring broth just to a boil. Gently simmer, uncovered, until meat is tender, about 1½ hours.

3. Discard stems and seeds from the chiles roast in a dry skillet. In a bowl, combine chiles with boiling-hot water. Soak chiles, turning them occasionally, for 30 minutes.

4. Meanwhile, in a skillet with lard or oil over med-high heat, brown pork butt (unless smoking the meat), add to kettle.

5. In hot, dry griddle or the skillet or broiler, roast the tomatillos, turning occasionally, until charred and slightly softened, 15 to 20 minutes. Work in batches if necessary. Transfer to bowl and let cool, collecting juices. Remove stems when cool.

6. Meanwhile, sauté the remainder of onions in the skillet add 1 tbsp chile powder and 1 tsp annatto seeds then reserve. Deglaze the pan with remaining chicken broth.

In a blender puree sautéed onion with the chiles and their soaking liquid, 2 whole cloves garlic, tomatillos and 1 tsp salt until smooth. Work in batches if necessary. Reserve the sauce

8. Transfer meat from the broth to a cutting board (or if smoked add pork here). Remove bay leaves and skim the surface then reserve broth mixture in the pot, add the fresh sliced chiles. When meat is cool break it up to bite size pieces and return to broth. Repeat with neck bones or hocks removing meat and discarding the bones. Add hominy to broth mixture. (If hominy is canned, drain and raise first.

Add Chile sauce, cilantro, lime juice and remaining 1 tsp salt. Simmer for 30 minutes and if necessary, season with salt. (Posolé may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered)

10. Serve with tortilla strips, avocado, green cabbage, white onion, radishes, lime wedges, and red pepper flakes for accompaniments:

Note: The day before; smoke the butt whole at 200°F to an IT of about 140°F using hickory or 50/50 Pecan/Cherry. Rubbed with a Sazón spice rub. (see recipe) Let cool overnight and cut into bite sized chunks then add in step 8.

Sazón Spice Rub

Yield: about ¼ cup

Ingredients:
    • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
    • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
    • 1 tablespoon ground annatto seeds
    • 1 tablespoon garlic powder
    • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
    • 1 teaspoon onion powder

Preparation:

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until the spices are evenly distributed.

2. Store seasoning at room temperature for up to 1 year.

OMG, this looks AMZING!!

Comment

That’s an entire weekend worth of cooking. I’m tired just reading it . Looks good though, love that stuff !!

Comment

Wonderful recipe. Downloaded to Paprika app. Thank you!

Kathryn

Comment

• painter
          painter commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Kathryn How do you move recipes from the pit into paprika???

• ofelles
          ofelles commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          painter , just open Paprika's browser and paste in the URL of the post with the recipe. When it comes up on Paprika's browser (you may have to log in to the Pit on Paprika's browser page) you can then click on "Download" and it will show up as a recipe in Paprika for you to edit and save.

Kathryn

Awesome, thanks! Coincidentally, I just ordered some white corn posole hominy from Rancho Gordo so I'll make this recipe with it.

Comment

Not sure if anyone watches Tangerine Travels on YouTube. This couple has been traveling throughout Mexico for the last 3 years. They were recently in Taxco, one of the old silver mining towns up in the mountains near Mexico City. Anyway they stopped by a local restaurant for lunch and had these huge bowls of posole, said it was the best they've had in Mexico. Thought about this recipe and now I have to make it. Thanks again for posting !!!

Comment

What time is it ready?

Comment

I had Pozole this past December for the first time. My neighbor included pigs feet in his recipe. It was delicious. Thank you for posting your recipe. I look forward to making it.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Pigs feet are a common add.

I am making this right now, smoking the pork on the kamado. The recipe says to use 4-6 oz. dried chilies - of coarse I'm gonna do 6 oz. I am using 2 oz. each guahillo, ancho, and red Hatch. For the chili powder I used 1 2/3 T ancho and 1 t of a 50/50 blend of chipotle morita and chipotle meco. I am using home made venison stock and I am using the hominy I bought from Rancho Gordo. I'm also using store bought smoked ham hocks - they are boneless.

I was going to make this recipe and Jim White 's recipe but decided it was a little too much to keep everything separate - I'll do Jim's next time.

ofelles Did you leave the whole garlic in with the hominy or remove them?

I'll update later when it is done.

EDIT 1: This certainly makes a lot, I'm using a one gallon pot and I had to switch to a 2 gallon pot to add the chili mixture and hominy.

EDIT 2: Here it is, Yum! Thanks ofelles
              Click image for larger version

Name:	posole_rojo1.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1009334
              Last edited by 58limited; March 27, 2021, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I leave the garlic in the hominy. We really like garlic.
                My motto is more is better.
                Looking forward to how it turns out. Enjoy!

• 58limited
                58limited commented
                Editing a comment
                I was planning on leaving the garlic too, just wanted to know what you did. I cooked the hominy as directed by Rancho Gordo: add a coarse chopped onion. I also added the garlic as directed in your recipe thinking: why not both? Or as Sam the Cooking Guy would say: The question isn't why would you, its why wouldn't you?

• ofelles
                ofelles commented
                Editing a comment
                Great minds think alike!

I want a seat at that table!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here