Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need help with a Sausage Spreadsheet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need help with a Sausage Spreadsheet

Calculating how much fat you need to make sausage is not as simple as you might think. I have tried to write formulae that will help, but I am not good at this and I need someone who is to help by taking my formulae below and making them clearer and easier. FEEL FREE TO EDIT AS MUCH AS YOU WANT! Then I need someone to put this into a spreadsheet that is user friendly, something a home cook could use easily.

THE WRONG WAY
    This is the way most people calculate how much fat is needed and it is wrong: Let’s say I have 10 pounds of lean ground muscle, like beef rump or pork loin, and I want to make a sausage that is 30% fat. If I just add 3 pounds of ground fat to the ground meat I will get 13 pounds of sausage. But that is not 30%!

If I divide the 3 pounds of fat by the 13 pounds of meat, I get 23% fat, not 30%! To get the right ratio you need this formula. I have rounded weights to one decimal.

THE RIGHT WAY
    First a definition of terms
    MEAT = Weight of meat (let’s say 16 pounds)
    TARGET = % of fat desired (let’s say 30% fat, my favorite target)
    X = Variable to be calculated
    FAT = Weight of fat needed to achieve Target
    MARBLING = (% of fat in the Meat * Meat) = 1.6 pounds
    MUSCLE = Meat – (Meat * Marbling) = 16 – 1.6 = 14.4 pounds
    TOTAL = Final quantity of sausage

So first we need to calculate the variable, X
    X = 100% - TARGET
    X = 100% - 30% = 70%
    X = 1 – 0.3 = 0.7

FORMULA FOR LEAN MEAT
    (MEAT ÷ X) – MEAT = FAT
    (16 ÷ 0.7) – 16 = 6.9 pounds of FAT

FORMULA FOR FATTY MEAT
    Now all this is fine if your meat is very lean like pork loin or beef rump, but if you are using a pork butt or beef chuck, you need to look at it and guestimate what the fat content is before you start grinding. It can be substantial, PERHAPS 20%, especially if there are large veins of fat. If it is about 20%, then subtract that from the weight of the MEAT to get the amount of MUSCLE. and from the amount of FAT you need to add. So here’s the formula:

(MUSCLE ÷ X) – MUSCLE = TOTAL = (14.4 ÷ 0.7) – 14.4 = 6.2 total pounds of FAT needed
    6.2 pounds of FAT – 3.2 or 20% of 16 pounds = 3 pounds of added FAT needed
    Last edited by Meathead; February 15, 2021, 11:09 AM.

It is now called the "Ground Meat Calculator" and it as well as all our other calculators is on this page
    Here are some very useful weights, measures, and equivalents that come in handy in the kitchen. You'll find an online conversion calculator for metric, imperial, volume, weight, length, and temperature, plus various handy food equivalents for salt, fat, sugar, and many other ingredients.

Bookmark it!

Comment

Nice work! I'll be using it for sure!

Comment

Feb was busy, week afore my Birthday, an all...missed this, sry

Ya shoulda jus called..

Comment

Nice. Works good. The one at the bottom of the page just above the Related Articles does not work though.

Comment

I think Sausage Spreadsheet would be a great name for a band.

rob

Comment

FYI for me the Ground Meat Calculator shows up twice, just above "Other" and again at the bottom.

Comment

Jimmy Dean sausage,---Goodbye.
                The main problem is now I will have to try and make my own sausage.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here