Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Aleppo Pepper Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aleppo Pepper Sausage

Something I made up a couple of weeks ago. I had half a pork butt left over from making tamales and no freezer space, so sausage it was. This is kinda inspired by not having all the ingredients to make HouseHomey's Andouille recipe and not feeling like going to the store.

2500 g Pork Butt
    1.7% salt
    .5% Prague powder #1
    20g granulated garlic
    20g Coleman's mustard powder
    20g coarse ground black pepper
    20g Aleppo pepper
    20g Paprika
    20g granulated onion
    1.5-2 tsp thyme
    1/2 cup very cold water

Cube the pork and add at least the salt and Prague powder, mix well and refrigerate overnight, you can add all the spices here but the salt and curing salt are what's important.

Click image for larger version

Name:	86D6CDB0-501B-4921-94F6-FDD452BDC3C0_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	526
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	977429

I just added all the seasoning and let it cure.

The next day set your grinder up with whatever die you want, I used my KitchenAid grinder and the coarse die. Grind the meat, the add a bit of the water and start kneading the farce. You may not need all the water, but It won't hurt to dump it all in. Once you have a good bind, which with the overnight cure and the mustard powder should not take long at all, stuff into casings.

You can adjust seasonings here, just fry a tiny patty and taste. Or nuke a tiny patty, that way you don't get the browning throwing the flavor profile off. The thyme was "to taste", it was the something missing when I made the first test patty.

Name:	46FE8C88-C552-4C17-8D13-94D1E297BBAE_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	977432

Name:	8E69FCBB-6A7B-4BA8-BC94-946514F2C79B_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	237.1 KB
ID:	977431

Now they go in the fridge uncovered overnight. This lets the casing cure and adhere to the sausage. It's even better if you can hang them, but on a cooling rack works perfectly well.

Now, you can just cook them or make them better by smoking them. Set your grill up for low temp, as low as you can get it. Load up on the smoking wood, there's enough going on that it would be hard to over smoke as long as you have good smoke rolling. cook to 145-150F then either drop them into an ice bath or pour cold water over them

Name:	E5D73DB0-77B1-42B7-9BC5-1FD95B31DEE5_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	392
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	977434

Name:	2D046110-C970-4324-B222-F6C80D6DAC64_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	387
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	977433

The next time I make these I'll make two changes:

Cut the salt back to 1.3-1.5% , it's a touch salty on its own.
    Either cut the black pepper back a good bit or use store bought ground pepper, fresh ground takes over a bit.

Other than that, I like it. It turned out very well. And it made some damn good red beans:

Name:	834C1738-8D19-4DA7-92C6-F7998559E1A4_1_201_a.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	977435

Attached Files

Looks great!

Comment

Thanks for sharing! That looks great - good color post smoke! I was thinking I need to make some sausage again soon. This stirs that idea up even more!

enjoy those sausages!

Comment

Nothing like a growling stomach at 6:30 am.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here