Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kielbasa - Authentic Old Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kielbasa - Authentic Old Recipe

Today I made a kielbasa recipe I found on Ethan Chlebowski's youtube channel. Ethan is of Polish descent and this recipe has been in his family for generations. His grandfather wrote it down in 1966 but Ethan mentions that it has been around since before WW2. Ethan's dad has my dream prep kitchen: basically his own meat shop with walk-in cooler, walk-in smokehouse, and commercial equipment. I glanced at his dad's Instagram account which Ethan posted on youtube and it appears that he is a doctor and charcuterie is his hobby, but it is mentioned that the family had a meat market in Poland.

Here is the video and the recipe:

Link to the recipe: https://www.ethanchlebowski.com/cook...olish-kielbasa

Ingredients:

Desired amount of 70/30 Pork (or beef, venison, etc.) Goal is about 30% fat.

For the spices below multiply the weight of the meat by the percentages of spices. For example, 454 grams (1 lb) of pork X 0.0175 (1.75%) gives you about 8 grams of salt.
    • 1.75% Salt
    • 1.75% Brown Sugar
    • 0.5% Black Pepper
    • 0.25% Cure #1
    • 0.187% Garlic Powder
    • 0.125% Whole Mustard Seed
    • 0.0625% Pickling Spice
    • 0.0313% Marjoram
    • Water
    • Sausage Casings
    Note on pickling spice: In the video I see the whole mustard seeds but the pickling spice looks to be ground. This makes sense since the McCormick pickling spice I have is whole allspice berries, whole cloves, bay leaves that are very coarsely broken up, red pepper chucks (not flakes), and more - these would not be evenly distributed unless ground and I didn't think the meat grinder would do a good job grinding the spices. I have never used pickling spice for anything before so I don't know if you can buy it pre-ground. I fine ground it using a vintage coffee grinder attachment for my big Hobart grinder.

Mix the measured spices into cold meat chunks (or ground meat if using). Note: the meat grinds better if very cold, almost frozen.

Add the meat to the grinder and push it through. Once the meat is ground, pour water over it and start mixing it by hand. There aren't specific measurements for the amount of water this is more of a by feel thing to see how much you want to add. Mix by hand, add water and adjust as needed.. At the end of the process, the meat should clump together and even sticks to your hand without falling.

Fill the sausage stuffing container with the kielbasa. Place the casing over the tube and slowly extrude the sausage into the casing. Once the sausage is stuffed, twist into links by pinching together and twisting the casing. Hang the sausages to dry for a few hours until the outside casing is no longer wet. Smoke the kielbasa until the internal temperature reaches 150 F. Rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process and hydrate the casings.

Here is mine before forming links. It is drying now. I'll smoke it on the KBQ.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200907_173307.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	907447

I fried a patty and it is good. However, I'll reserve final judgement until after it is smoked. My inclination is to up the black pepper but I'll wait to taste the finished sausage before deciding. Also, thinking of using fresh garlic instead of garlic powder next time.
    Last edited by 58limited; September 7, 2020, 05:50 PM.

Just smoked 45 pounds of pork sausage, 15 stayed fresh. I weigh everything and every single year when dad pours the water in he says, "man that's a lot of water, are you sure it needs that much?" I say, "you say that crap every single year." Then he says, "I know I forget."

Comment

• cgrover60
      cgrover60 commented
      Editing a comment
      And you gotta love it.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      And you'd probably worry about him if he didn't...

• 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Next time I make the kielbasa I'm going to use beer instead of water.

I watched that video a few weeks ago, very interested in how yours turns out. Store bought kielbasa is generally crap, and none of the butcher shops around here make it.

Comment

Thanks for the kielbasa ‘link’ will definitely try that. Also looks like you had nice results, congrats.

I ground up some chuck/brisket blend for burgers yesterday and saved about 2# to make some beef/jalapeño/Gouda sausage. Flavor & juiciness turned out great but my casings didn’t quite take the heat too well. Half ruptured, and one even snapped in half. Never seen that before. Stewed them in some onions & beer for 30 and then seared over the remaining coals just to brown for 5 mins, not too hot.

Any preference in casings or tips & tricks to keep them pliable? One thought is I may have over-soaked the casings before stuffing, though they seemed fine when feeding on to stuffer tube. What brand casings do you use?

thanks,
      bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	676A5A67-D2AA-44EC-AAAB-487BF1634A2B.jpeg
Views:	1009
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	907471

Comment

• DmitryD
        DmitryD commented
        Editing a comment
        please don't forget to prick the sausages. it helps a lot from rapturing

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        The casing blowing out is from over stuffing the casing or to much heat. Did it blow out while twisting or cooking?? I never prick the sausages if temp is kept low and not over stuffed they will not blow out

• Bob K
        Bob K commented
        Editing a comment
        Blew out while cooking, one up and snapped clean in half right on the grill by itself. I think I overstuffed, oversoaked and over cooked that batch, ha. Haven’t had the problem since but I’ve been more careful with stuffing and heat. Been using the pre-tubed LEM brand, pretty happy with them

Now that's the kielbasa ticket. I'm from NW PA and grew up on this stuff. I now have to settle for mass produced kielbasa that's just not the same....

Comment

After smoking and rinsing. No pictures of the sausage after cutting. It is very good but I will up the black pepper amount.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200907_212828.jpg
Views:	979
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	907610

Comment

• DmitryD
          DmitryD commented
          Editing a comment
          what about the salt? it sounds a bit too much to have 8 grams per 1 lb? was it salty or over salty?

• 58limited
          58limited commented
          Editing a comment
          Not salty at all. Just right.

May I fix yer Title, Brother, or would ya prefer to do it yer dang self?

Comment

I just tried to edit the post but it wouldn't let me change the title.
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 8, 2020, 02:51 AM.

Comment

​
          Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
          May I fix yer Title, Brother, or would ya prefer to do it yer dang self?​
          think I fixed it...

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Edited it lol

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Wonder why it wouldn't let me?

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I have Super Powers lol

Update: This sausage recipe is great! After letting the sausage sit in the fridge overnight the flavors really came together. Better than store bought. I'm still going to add a little more black pepper though.

Comment

I made this again last month with pork and venison, turned out great! I upped the black pepper by 50%, still would like more personally.

Comment

Wow 58! I missed this post & missed Ethan vid. I have to try this, I mean it’s a must. Since I left Detroit 32 years ago I have not had a decent kielbasa. Some one else posted yrs ago on AR & we sorta had this discussion, but I did nothing about it. I was just talkin to a buddy of mine & we were discussing PS Seasoning where Backroadmeats gets his seasoning which is 20 minutes away & Keilbasa a came up in the discussion. I am motivated, yessir! Many thanks.
              Last edited by FireMan; February 23, 2021, 09:18 AM.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup. Get the blue ribbon kielbasa seasoning it is very good

This one also went under my radar.. 58limited 👌👍
              so thanks for bumping it FireMan

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here