Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simple Central Texas Beef Sausage Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple Central Texas Beef Sausage Recipe

This is a simple recipe that I came up with this week that is pretty good. I need to grab some sausage from Central Texas the next time I drive through to compare. I actually used a venison pork blend* for the two batches I made this week but most people who tasted it thought it was beef. I ground the meat with a 3/16 inch plate. The venison version is lean but not dry, I got lots of compliments about that.

1 1/2 lb beef w/ fat. Most people recommend about 30% fat.
    1 Tbsp coarse black pepper
    1/2 -3/4 Tbsp kosher salt - to taste
    1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

(notes for the detail oriented: I used Sherpa Pink Himalayan salt, Adam's Pepper Perfected coarse black pepper, and oak lump with a few hickory chunks and a small post oak log on my kamado)

Combine all ingredients and smoke to about 160 degrees. For the second batch I used 1 tsp each of the cayenne and red pepper flakes - pretty spicy but good.

This recipe is loosely based on Vencil Mares' sausage recipe published in"Legends of Texas Barbecue Cookbook" by Robb Walsh. Vencil, a WWII vet who opened Taylor Cafe in Taylor, Tx in 1949 (a block or so from Louie Mueller's), learned how to make sausage and BBQ at South Side Market in Elgin. The cafe is still open (and, according to a quick Google search, Vencil was still around as late as 2017). It is a must for anyone traveling through looking for good Central Texas BBQ.

Vencil's Recipe:

6 lbs beef rump roast or beef trimmings
    4 lbs fatty Boston butt pork roast
    1/4 cup salt
    3 Tbsp coarse black pepper
    Grind the meats with 1/4 inch plate on your meat grinder then mix everything together, stuff in casings, sear over the coals until nicely browned, then smoke with indirect heat until done.

Pictured below is my second batch. I don't usually use a temp probe for sausage but the Maverick is new and I was playing around with it. The temp gauge on my kamado shows 25 degrees hotter than at the cooking surface. In the last picture you can see the smoke ring.

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2959.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.24 MB ID:	772210

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2960.JPG Views:	0 Size:	920.8 KB ID:	772209

Click image for larger version  Name:	100_2961.JPG Views:	0 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	772208

* My friend killed two deer. We mixed 40.5 lbs venison with two pork butts and one pork belly (weight - 22 lbs). He gave me several pounds to play with. This ground meat does not smell or taste gamey at all.
    Last edited by 58limited; November 26, 2019, 03:39 PM.

Looking GOOD!

Comment

Game is not "gamey" if you process it correctly. Its best when you process it yourself

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree - we processed the deer ourselves so that we knew it was done right. I've had deer that others have processed and it was gamey.

Lookin goood. Sorry to say Vencil Mares dies Sunday https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/na...?pid=194546958

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        58limited sausage looks like a great tribute to his legacy. RIP!

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I hope my humble attempt is worthy. Vencil served our country well and had a good long life. RIP

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee

Hey, I have that same cutting board! Are you sure those weren't supposed to be my sausages on my cutting board???

Comment

Nice! Thanks for sharing. I’ve been looking for a basic Texas sausage recipe for a while. This goes in my file for sure.

Comment

All the sausage talk has got me actually going to kill a doe second week of December just to make sausage out of. I also have the two bucks in freezer, had steaks cut, everything else is ground meat, about 70 lbs of it.

Comment

• 58limited
            58limited commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the forum. I still have 50lbs of deer in the freezer from last year that needs to be ground into hamburger or sausages.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here