Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reuben Sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reuben Sausage

Headline: This is a unique type of brat with the flavor profile of corned beef/Reuben. My recipe is adapted from Eric at the "2 Guys & a Cooler" website: https://twoguysandacooler.com/reuben-sausage/

Click image for larger version

Name:	bunned.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1225575

Quantity: As shown, makes about 6 pounds of sausage. Eric's site has a calculator to make other amounts. My recipe decreases the amount of black pepper by about 30% and increases the juniper berries by quite a bit (personal preferences).

Time: Takes maybe an hour or so of actual work, not counting waiting time.

Serve grilled on a rye hoagie roll, with sauerkraut, and thousand island dressing.

Equipment: Meat grinder with 10mm (or similar) plate, sausage stuffer, spice grinder, and sausage casings of your choice. We used 24mm and 32mm air dried sheep/hog casings.

Ingredients:

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	1225576

Method: Eric's video is a good summary of the process.

1. Cut the meat and fat into cubes that will fit your grinder and mix the salt and cure#1 with the cubed meat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 days for the meat to cure. (I always pre-cure sausage meat, but most don't, its optional.)

Name:	cubed.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1225577

2. If you're using salted hog or sheep casings, soak them in water and rinse . . . I like to refrigerate them in water over night, but an hour or so is OK. The air dried casings that we used are only dipped in water for a minute or two.

When you're ready to make the sausage:

3. Put the meat into the freezer until its temperature is 30º - 32º.
    4. While waiting, cut the swiss cheese into small (1/4") cubes

Name:	cheese.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	1225578

5. Measure out the rest of the spices and grind ingredients 6-12 into fine powder, keep the potato starch, water and cheese separate.
    6. Remove meat from freezer and grind (we used 10mm plate), put back into the freezer to 30º - 32º again.

Name:	grinding.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	1225579

7. Remove meat from the freezer, mix together all the spices except the last 3, sprinkle into the ground meat.
    8. Add the ice water and begin mixing (meat mixer, Kitchen Aid, or by hand). Gradually add in the potato starch and continue mixing until the mince is very sticky.

Name:	mixing.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	1225580

9. Stir in the swiss cheese cubes, and chill again.
    10. Stuff into casings and twist (or tie) into links.

Name:	stuffing.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	1225581

Name:	links.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1225582

We cut them into 3s or 4s and put into vacuum sealer bags, freeze then vacuum seal.

They are best grilled on low (we use grill grates, but be careful, if you split the casing, all the cheese will run out!). We have also found that air frying on aluminum foil at 320º for 8 minutes is pretty good too.

Name:	tabled.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1225583

Oh geez man, that sounds outstanding! Looks great to. And with kraut, 1G & hoagie, a home run!

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Forgot the PBR . . . Oh well, next time . . .

Looks delicious!

You can get high temp cheeses that won't run out if the casing splits:

Comment

• johnec00
      johnec00 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, the Sausage Maker sells those too. I used their cheddar in summer sausage a while back and it was OK. I thought about using high temperature swiss for this project, but I think high temperature cheeses are made by acidification and reduction in fat content. For a reuben, I think a nice smooth runny cheese is desirable, so I just used regular (and that's what the recipe called for). Anyway, was careful with grilling temperature and no problem.
      Last edited by johnec00; May 24, 2022, 01:09 PM.

Look Great, How can you go wrong with a reuben sausage!

Comment

I love it !!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here