Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potato sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good. I'll need to try it.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      You have never had potato sausage?? Yeah you need to try it. The used to sell it In the grocery store in town.

• Skip
      Skip commented
      Editing a comment
      Backroadmeats, not sure why I haven't eaten the Sausage but for sure I'll begetting some to try very soon.

I'm in on that one.

Comment

I know of 2 places in Wisconsin that made it commercially. One is closed (Jacobson Brothers in Madison) and Peroutka's in Antigo (which probably still does, they also made 2 kinds of blood sausage and Jaternice (they called it Ring Liver I think). Seems like I've seen it somewhere else too. Both only did it as a fresh sausage; I've never seen it smoked. I have to wonder how the potatoes would do in the smoker (maybe turn to mush before the sausage was done?).

I agree that it's good!
      Last edited by Murdy; October 26, 2021, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        That is my concern to is the potato's. I will have an answer as to if it turns mush in a few hours.

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to live by Jacobson’s in Fitchburg. I was so bummed when it closed.

Ahhh yes, a Minnesota classic this time of year. I can't wait for the Lutefisk feed! Not cause of the fish, more for the leafsa with cinnamon and sugar. Not to mention those old church ladies throwing slangin' those meatballs and overly-buttered potatoes!

Comment

• Skip
        Skip commented
        Editing a comment
        You got it all right---EXCEPT...Tricia (true 100% Norwegian) says it should also have brown sugar with the butter...or mashed potatoes and lutefisk rolled in the lefse. I eat it all but the lutefisk.

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup and the hamburger wild rice hot dish. My grand parents lived in a small German town just north of new ULM MN.. when the passed on all the old German ladies made hot dishes and taters and some amazing deserts.. I have said many times it may have been one of the best meals of my life!!

Here is 40 lbs of venison , 40 lbs of pork ,. 40 lbs of potatoes and ten lbs of onions in the grinder. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_095734_hdr.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1115953 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_100350.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1115952

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        How big is that hopper?

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter it will hold 250 lbs.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Makes my 10lbs I just did of spicy sage sausage look like nothing. I actually did this small batch with my kitchen aid grinder, and didn't even break out the LEM.

I Googled "Swedish potato sausage for sale Wisconsin" and got quite a few results around the state (and one in northern Illinois where I've shopped before, probably the other place I had seen it). At least one of the places offered it as a cooked sausage. ( https://karlscountrymarket.com/karls-specialty-sausages ). So smoking it should be ok I would think -- guess we will know soon.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I know where Karl’s Market is. Not too far from me at all. Thanks!

Well the potato sausage is done. I cut them about 2 ft long and coil them up in a vacuum sealer bag. They are on the plastic trays on the cart. The smoked ones are the long ones on the smoker truck. There is 50 lbs of potato sausage 75lbs of jalapeno cheddar brats and 50lbs of wild rice brats.. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_162954.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1116019 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_154032_hdr.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	1116020 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_154037.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1116021 about two hours then I can report back on the smoked potato sausage.
      Attached Files

Comment

We it took some nice color . And did not get mushy I don't think . In to the cooler for the night and I will cook some up tomorrow.. the taste test was a winner in my book. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_200152_hdr.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1116084 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20211026_200158_hdr.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	1116085

Comment

Glad to hear they smoked up well. Gonna make it a regular part of your repertoire? Maybe try blood next?

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            Potato sausage is more of a seasonal thing up here. But there is alot of interest in it. Blood sausage.. I think I will pass😄😄 never had it though..

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here