Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Potato sausage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Potato sausage

Does anyone else eat potato sausage?? I don't know if this is mostly a Minnesota thing. I know around Christmas time alot of churches up here do potato sausage and lutefisk suppers and get a great turnout.. tomorrow I am making 125 lbs of potato sausage and I am thinking about adding cure and smoking some. Has anyone ever seen smoked potato sausage in the store??

You're scaring me here....

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      It is not vegan!! It is 1/3 beef 1/3 pork and 1/3 potatoes with some ground onion also. It is REALLY good.

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      OK now it's just the lutefisk that scares me. :P

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup . No lutefisk for me either!! Yuk!!

Man I used to eat potato sausage when I was growing up and up until right now I completely forgot about it. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Where about in cheese head land are you??

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Used to see it around Oktoberfest time here, pretty good after 4-5 steins of German beer.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Backroadmeats 30 mins west of Milwaukee

Is this what you mean? If so, looks pretty good to me!

Swedish Potato Sausage (Potatis Korv) is a fresh sausage made with ground pork and beef that is mixed with potatoes, onions, salt and pepper

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup!! It is really good!

• treesmacker
      treesmacker commented
      Editing a comment
      That does look good!

Well, the sausage I eat has - er - sausage in it.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I will post pics as we make it tomorrow!! This is 2/3 meat with potatoes and onions in it.. to me it tastes like a good meatloaf in a casing..

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      It does sound good. Backroadmeats

I’d buy it!

Comment

I'd certainly try some potato sausage. I'd bet it was "invented" as a cost reduction tactic - substituting some low cost filler into the mix, while still making a good tasting product.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup . Exactly!!

Show us what you got!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Coming soon!!

Sounds like an Irish boudan, lol!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Swedish and german..

Would like to know the recipe, would try it with venison, wild hogs, and taters.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        I am making it with venison tomorrow . I use a p&s seasoning for it. It is as good or better than mixing up my own seasoning..

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang I run everything from scratch...of course my operate is not near what yours is. Natural casings?

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup natural casings. I have a recipe that I have used I can see if I can find it.. but like I said the p&a seasoning is better.

Husband says it was called katufulwurst. Not sure of the spelling.
      His grand parents would eat it for dinner and fry with eggs for breakfast the next morning like a hash.
      Last edited by Debra; October 25, 2021, 06:47 PM.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. Yup we it it for any meal of the day. Has he ever seen or had smoked potato sausage??

I’d eat the sausage readily but please hold the lutefisk. I truly believe my Norwegian in-laws always served it at holiday dinners just to see me gag.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        I hear that on the lutefisk!!

Do you ship,,,
      website?
      I’ll buy what ya have,,,,

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I can't ship..

I can't say I've ever seen it here in my part of Wisconsin (Fond du Lac). There is a lot more traditional German food down towards Milwaukee. Maybe somebody down that way knows more. Jfrosty27? It sure sounds good, so if I encounter it, I'll be sure to give it a try.
      The rotted cod? No thank you.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't recall ever seeing it. But then, I wasn't really looking for it either. I'll keep an eye out for it at my regular meat shops. If I see it, I will given it a try and report back.

My grandparents came from Lithuania and always used potatoes as filler. Can’t remember for sure, but I think they used potatoes in their sausages. My grandmother had potatoes on the counter all the time, dicing, slicing or grating.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here