Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild Hog Kielbasa - fill the freezer right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Hog Kielbasa - fill the freezer right

I have been taking a lot of wild hog this year and processing it at home into a number of different cuts. I thought I would share one of my favorites so far - old school Kielbasa. Great for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or tailgate. If you are a hunter and have never checked out Hank Shaw's website you are missing out - his recipes are always a hit in my house.

https://honest-food.net/polish-kielbasa-recipe/

This recipe is easy to follow and I usually make it in 15# batches (that's what my grill can smoke in a single go). I tend to stuff these in lots of various lengths so it's easy to adjust quantities based on what I end up cooking. Enjoy!
    Attached Files

Looks good. It sure took some nice color on!! The casings should snap nicely!!

Comment

Looks great! I printed that recipe out, will try it next time I make kielbasa. I like all of the garlic he uses in the recipe.

Check out the version I made, found on youtube: Polish recipe that has been in their family for probably 100 years. I've made it twice. The first time was with pork, second time was venison and pork.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...tic-old-recipe
      Last edited by 58limited; May 2, 2021, 09:50 AM.

Comment

• conmanbeta
        conmanbeta commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome, I will give that a try. Just prepped 10# each of his Kielbasa, Andouille, and Spicy Italian. All good stuff.

Looking good!
      My old Blue Heeler would have had those gone in a second!
      Last edited by Dick Anderson; May 2, 2021, 10:43 AM.

Comment

• conmanbeta
        conmanbeta commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, the drying process definitely requires the dogs to be locked up tight.

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Just curious.. why are you drying them??

Every recipe I have read for Kielbasa calls for drying out the casing before smoking. I assume this allows the meat to come to room temperature before going into the smoker, I read somewhere that it helps with smoke penetration and elsewhere that this helps prevent tough casings. I have even read several recipes that specifically say this is a specific step for Kielbasa vs. other sausages. I haven't tried it without drying the casing out so I can't really intelligently say what difference it truly makes. Sometimes it is hard to separate the facts from the old wives tales.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        I know alot of the old timers will say you have to dry the casings or the sausage will get sour.. I make alot of sausage and never dry any of it on purpose. I may have to let it sit in cooler until the smoker is empty but usually right off the stuffer then into the smoker. I don't see any difference between the two.. I would be really careful letting meat come to room temp in my opinion.i know if my meat inspector showed up and I had room temp sausage it would go in the dumpster..

Looks cool, thanks for the recommendations!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here