Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I re-use corning liquid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I re-use corning liquid?

Maybe a dumb question...so forgive me in advance. I am corning the first of three beef bellies (making pastrami) and have the first one (11+ pounds) in three gallon in the fridge. Is it safe / advisable to reuse the corning liquid for a second belly, after the first one is done?

I would not, for good safety reasons.

Comment

I want to know where you got the beef belly? I want to make some pastrami outta that.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        same, been looking for one for beef bacon. The only mail order ones I could find were whole belly and the only remaining butcher in my area focuses on pork.

• latenight71
        latenight71 commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't ordered from this place yet but they have belly in 8.5-9.5 lb cuts.

Discover the rich, savory taste of our Premium Wagyu Beef Belly (Navel) BMS7+ at Meat N' Bone. Perfect for smoking, creating pastrami, or homemade bacon. Sourced from the finest Wagyu program in the US, our Beef Belly delivers an unparalleled culinary experience for meat enthusiasts. Explore the unique, superior taste of Wagyu Beef Belly today

I would not. You should start with a fresh batch where you are sure of the percentages of the ingredients.

Comment

Okay, that seems sensible. I'll start afresh with each (although it would have been so much easier :-)). In answer to the sourcing question...it took me a lot of calls and cajoling but I found a great butcher in LA who will special order them for me. They have a standing order from me...I haven't made pastrami for a year (it didn't seem right, given everything happening in the meat supply chain), but have had great luck with bellies made into pastrami. They are from "Greater Omaha" (see picture).
        Attached Files

Comment

By the way, from what I understand, they are rare because butchers like to break sides down (for economic reasons) in ways that don't yield bellies...my butcher will mail me once in a while and ask me if I want some.

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            For fun and information on breaking down beef try Bearded Butchers' videos on Youtube.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here