Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cure Two Different Beef Cuts Together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cure Two Different Beef Cuts Together

Hi all, been a lurker for years, finally joined a couple months ago to patronize the site, the best place ever. Anyway, I bought half of a grass fed beefer and requested all large cuts, stew beef and minimal burger. It was a tiny little guy and I have all these 3-5lb cuts, including a gigantic 6.5lb standing 7 rib roast lol. Anyway, I make a lot of corned beef/pastrami and always wanted to try curing a faux "chuck roast" brisket. Research says they are awesome. So:

The cuts are small and I plan to throw a couple different types of beef in the bucket to make it worth it. One is the full 4.25lb packer (I can't stop laughing because I'm usually figuring out how to stuff a 14+ pounder in there, in 3 pieces). The other would be a 4.75lb chuck roast. I have another chuck, same size, that might be used as well. Both are melon sized and shaped similarly. They are lean and don't need trimming.

I spent quite a bit of time searching to get an answer. Usually I always get what I want here, but not this time. Is there any reason technically that I shouldn't cure both cuts together. It's doubtful there's a health danger to it, but maybe there is something I don't know. I use the cure calculator and it's always spot on, and I've used all different kinds of weights and thicknesses as well with great results.

They should be thawed in the fridge within the next day or two...

Thanks,

Mark

Welcome from Virginia. I am going to defer to the experts on this one.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit. I don't know for sure, but I think thickness is more important than cut.

Comment

Welcome to the pit from Southern Illinois!

Comment

Welcome.

If they are in the same container and touching (stacked) then it will take longer to get the cure all the way through. Otherwise I can't see how it would matter.

Comment

• shify
            shify commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup - only issue is if they are touching or overlapping.

Thanks guys, appreciate the wecome! It's all beef and agree they should swim in harmony. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't some kind of "thing" lol.

Comment

Glad you joined.
            Hello from NW Oregon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here