Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Morton Changed the Kosher Salt Grind?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has Morton Changed the Kosher Salt Grind?

Maybe its just me but my last two boxes of Morton Kosher Salt seems to be with a different grind. I'm used to a coarse but uniform flake but the new grind appears to be random and has some almost elongated flakes in it. I go through about two boxes a month so I don't think I'm dreaming this. I'm getting used to it but wish they'd go back to the uniform grand once again.

Also changed the packaging which is neither here nor there....

I have noticed this too. I will usually pour out a small amount in the palm of my hand and then take a couple of pinches to apply. I have noticed that some pinches are more granular and others actually feel only a little larger than table salt. I just thought it might have been related to shipping or the stock boy.... In the past, I always used Diamond, but I haven't had luck lately in finding it and ended up getting the Morton's. I just thought that was how this brand was.

Comment

Good eye. I have had the same thought that there is something different about their grind lately. You can see and feel it in your hands.

Comment

It seems something funky has been goin on with Morton’s Kosher Salt for a year or two & there has been no comment as to what’s goin on with the grind. No news is just that in this case, except what some see & notice.

Comment

Jesus. I go through about one of these boxes in an entire year. So I haven’t noticed any difference.

I think I need to cook more. 🤦🏼

Comment

I sure think it has. I have thought of switching brands, but no clue what to switch to. Have been using Mortons for years.

Comment

Yeah, I was kinda scratching my head for awhile. Thought I was just losing my marbles, I doubt all of us losing r marbles at the same time. Makes me feel a little better.

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh we’re all losing it.
                Wait. Who are you guys and why am I here.

Definitely finer pieces in there. Closer to table salt density than diamond at this point. I don't think it was like that in the past.

I’ve been forcing myself to weight the salt for all dry brining because of the inconsistencies.

Comment

What salt to use in place of Mortons?

Comment

Sorry my fellow Pitmasters, I have bigger issues. I use mainly to dry brine. Pease let me know if this new grind impacts your cooks and how.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    mainly it causes measurement inconsistency, too many fines gets you over salted meat if using your measurement for coarse. Obviously in any coarse box theres gonna be some fines but the last 2 boxes of mortons I used it was almost like 1/3 of the box was near table salt fine.

I've switched to diamond crystal, I noticed some irregularities in the last year with mortons. I still use mortons for table salt, just not the coarse anymore.

Comment

• fkrall
                    fkrall commented
                    Editing a comment
                    DC for me as well, primarily because of its consistency and smaller grind. I use it to brine, and it's easier to judge "use as much as you'd use at table." Never had a problem.

One of those boxes probably lasts me 1-2 years, depending on how much curing I’m doing! I have a box that’s probably around a year old and it seems normal to me. I haven’t measured salt to dry brine in a long time, just sprinkle it on in the amount that looks appropriate. When curing I weigh it, so if the grind changed a bit I wouldn’t find it to be a big deal. If it was all fine like table salt I might be a bit irritated though, we expect kosher salt to be much coarser than table salt.

Comment

Haven’t noticed too much, but now that you mention it there does seem to be some inconsistency from previous boxes. What I definitely don’t like is the new box...took me 5 mins of staring at the stupid thing in the market to realize it was what I was looking for! 🤦🏽

Comment

I am usually a Diamond Crystal guy but for a few months everyone around here was out of stock. I bought a couple boxes of Mortons and did notice it seemed different than previous boxes of Mortons I had used.

Comment

I switched to Diamond Crystal a couple of years ago mostly because it doesn't have the anti caking agent that Morton does. Once I made the switch, I never looked back.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here