Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken Wings - Newbie Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chicken Wings - Newbie Question

Hi!
    New to the site and been reading up on multiple topics. One that caught my attention was dry brining wings. I’ve been cooking wings on a Jumbo Joe with a Vortex and have been pleased with the results. I thought I’d give the dry brining process a go.....I’m using Owens BBQ Buffalo Wing rub.
    I had planned to brine with salt and leave overnight, but when I saw salt was a component in the rub, I decided to just go with the straight BW rub.

I dried the wings, placed them on a cookie sheet (did not use a rack - I just ordered one), sprinkled them, liberally with the rub on both sides, and let them sit overnight, Them seemed pretty dry when I was ready to put them on the grill.

I filled the Vortex up between 1/2 and 3/4 full (I had been filling completely), let the grill heat up, vents wide open, and put the wings on. At 7 minute I intervals, I rotated the lid 90 degrees. At the end of the last rotation, the wings were at 180-190, but the skin was nowhere near crispy. I was able to do a minor correction by putting them over the vortex for a short bit, but didn’t want to burn them. I believe total cook time was about 40 minutes...a few ended up being carbon dated on the Vortex 🙂.

So, my wife thought they were the best yet. Flavorful, juicy, but the skin was lousy, IMO. I suspect I should have used a bit more charcoal, but I’m not sure. The only other variable changed was the brining. I didn’t bother with a thermometer to monitor temp based on past experience, but cook times tended to be 30 minutes. The good news is I have 5 more packs of wings and a new bag of charcoal to experiment with!

Any ideas or recommendations? Almost hate to ask about something so basic, but after reading some of the recommendations, I thought I was on the right track.

First welcome from Western Massachusetts.

I have never brined wings. Honestly I don't think it would matter in taste or texture. IMO not enough meat for a brine to add moisture or enhance taste. I've been known to be wrong before.
    I use vortex on a Kettle. I rotate every 11 minutes. Do fill up the vortex.

Comment

My grilled wings don’t get super crispy like frying them does. It’s a different doneness that the vortex gives them but not soggy by any means.

Comment

I'd too try to make sure the Vortex is as full as possible. You want the cooker as hot as possible. I have the coals heaping in the my chimney.

Comment

I always dry brine mine overnight on a rack and in a rub with salt in it too, I do think it makes a difference - they come out nice and crispy. Like others, I overflow the chimney and will even throw a few more briquettes on top of the vortex before preheating if I have the room! I preheat my 26" kettle for 10 min or so. I do not rotate but I'll flip them after 25 min. How long I let them go depends on how many I'm cooking - 3 dozen is usually 45-50 min, 4 dozen is 55-60 min, etc. Doing this, I haven't had a need to use direct heat at all. I also don't add any sauce while they're on the grill, I toss them after they come off. Good luck!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wings.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	940733

Comment

Some guys use a little baking soda, seems to really help dry the skin. Salt brining seems to thin the skin and makes it a little easier to crisp up. Other than that you need to put the heat to them. I like to run up to as hot as my kettle will get, usually close to 700*. Another little trick is to force all the air through the vortex by applying foil all around the outside of the vortex. It also does a great job of catching the grease for an easy clean-up. Keep trying, you'll get there !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wings 01.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	940738

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Do you even make wings, bro? LOL

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              Well in my imagination I did, honest :’)

Welcome from Massachusetts! I always dry brine them with Kosher salt and let them sit uncovered in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or overnight. It dries the skin out and they get crispy. I apply rub before grilling. On the Weber, I get the grill really hot and cook them fast. I did the same thing in my Frigidaire Air Fry oven and they came out great to.

Comment

I learned the trick of adding a little baking powder (not baking soda) to the dry brine. I try to let them brine for at least 24 hrs uncovered in the fridge to get the skin nice and dry. Has worked well for me when cooked hot and fast.

Here's some good info, I've adapted this to the grill/smoker:
              Toss out that deep fryer just like last year's jeans. We've got the solution to crispy baked chicken wings.

Last edited by BourBonQ; November 16, 2020, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I stand corrected on the powder. Never tried it personally, heat has always been my way of crisping.

Thanks for the input, everyone. I should know to change just one variable at a time! I suspect I cut back too much on the coals. I discovered the SnS didn’t require as many briquettes as initially thought, and assumed the same for the Vortex. I have the next batch thawing now and will give it another go tomorrow. I appreciate the pics as well. Going to line the lower grate with tin foil on the next go.

Comment

Originally posted by BourBonQ View Post
                I learned the trick of adding a little baking powder (not baking soda) to the dry brine. I try to let them brine for at least 24 hrs uncovered in the fridge to get the skin nice and dry. Has worked well for me when cooked hot and fast.

Here's some good info, I've adapted this to the grill/smoker:
                Toss out that deep fryer just like last year's jeans. We've got the solution to crispy baked chicken wings.
                Yes, salt + baking *powder* is the way to go to dry brine poultry. You want a ratio of about 3 to 1 (salt to powder). I do this for all chicken and turkey.

What the baking powder does to the skin is explained pretty well in this article: https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/02/...ppetizers.html

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great tips! Thanks for sharing. I’m gonna try that on my next wing cook.

• Yohawk
                  Yohawk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you....I’ll give that a shot!

Welcome to The Pit. I also dry brine overnight if possible. When ready to cook, I rub with just enough oil to help the rub stick. I have also started adding different sauces for the last 10 min to a few tryin' to find nirvana. So far teriyaki and Sweet Baby Rays are in the lead. Please note that adding a sauce before pulling will prevent a super crispy skin.
                Last edited by RonB; November 16, 2020, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here