Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long is too long to dry brine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is too long to dry brine?

Hey everyone, So I'm smoke'n baby backs and a 12 lbs pb ( thinking I'll halve it to reduce cook time and create more surface are for bark) Anyway I'm doing these this sat nice and early - wondering can I start to dry brine now or should I wait until tomorrow?

Thanks!
    -Jim

Now is fine

Comment

Thanks Jerod, was hoping to hear that. Another question, I typically just dry brine with everything in a big pan. I like to leave it uncovered so the air can do it's magic with the salt and moisture. Should I be covering it ? Normally I wouldn't worry since I usually do it the day before. I'm pretty sure I am going about this correctly.

-Jim

Comment

Up to 48 hours in advance is MH's recommendation although he doesn't mention ribs specifically in his dry brining article

Comment

I think that a little brining goes a long way with ribs... b/c they are thinner

Comment

I don't worry about covering. If you need to to prevent cross-contamination, time to clean the fridge.

I never cover chicken, that is like worrying about perfume dripping on a nuclear warhead.

Comment

• 3DJ
              3DJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep thanks, my thoughts exactly. I've never covered before and I am excited to get an extra day brining on all of this!

-Jim

On ribs I just mix the salt with the rub and let'em sit in the fridge 4-5 hrs before the cook sometimes overnight. PBs I like to apply salt and wrap in plastic wrap 3 days in advance. Some like to cover and some don't I'm the one who does. 😊

Comment

I had (2) 1 1/4 inch or thicker NYS up on racks, uncovered (per Jerod) for 2 days. They came out awesome with Reverse Sear ( I think I used the non-stick on the stove so I could make pan sauce ) I was a little leary about 2 days, but they were fine.

I'd dry-brine AGAIN!

--Ed

Comment

pit boss has a post about doing pulled beef where he dry brined his chuck roast for 5 days by accident and it was still great.

Comment

• Medusa
                  Medusa commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, I think I saw it. I did mine for 39+ hours / 16 of that with MH BBBR

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                I don't worry about covering. If you need to to prevent cross-contamination, time to clean the fridge.

I never cover chicken, that is like worrying about perfume dripping on a nuclear warhead.
                I'm curious if there is any harm in covering? I'm guessing the process is a chemical reaction not dependent on air circulation. Have I missed something?

Comment

Let me rephrase the question: Is there any difference in the results if you cover or not cover?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here