Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing time querry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing time querry

I have a question about the curing calculations for bacon. I purchased an almost 12lb. belly (no skin). I cut it in half with slab #1 being 5.85lb. And 2” thick. Slab 2 was 6lb. And mostly 2” with one corner at 2.75”. I was doing Meathead’s maple cure (his is with 3lb. slabs) and adjusted for the difference for the other ingredients. After doing the cure calculations using Dr. Blonder’s formula, slab #1 came to 5.9g PG#1 salt for 5.4 days. Slab #2 came to 6.6g PG#1 salt for 10.2 days. That means that 0.75” added 5 days to the cure time. That would mean that thickness/time isn’t linear but a curve. And only one corner, about the size of a tennis ball, is 2.75” while the rest of the slab is around 2”. Do I really wait the 10 days for curing that corner? It seems long to me or my calculations are screwed up. I don’t know how I could have gone wrong with just inputting the amount of liquid, the weight of the meat, the thickness and the shape. If I wanted to do it with 10 gallons of water and entered that into the formula it would give me the new amount of prague #1 but it would still take 10.2 days because of the thickness and shape. I am going to smoke this to 160° F. Do I wait the 10.2 days for that small corner?

Signed,
    Shaken, but not cured.

I just realized I only have to take it to 150° not 160°.
    Last edited by JimLinebarger; September 29, 2020, 03:52 AM.

I wouldn't wait longer for the corner since it's going to be "hit" on multiple sides.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info. I didn't want to smoke the slabs separately if I didn't have to. But, we are out of bacon, so I would have if necessary. It will be 1 day longer since I pulled the other one earlier yesterday and left the second one in the fridge just in case.
      Last edited by JimLinebarger; September 29, 2020, 03:49 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here