Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry brining ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry brining ribs

i’m making St. Louis cut ribs for the Fourth of July, tomorrow. Can I dry brine with Morton’s kosher salt overnight tonight since I have to start cooking at 6 AM? All of the recipes on amazing ribs and pitmaster recommend dry brining ribs for "at least one to two hours." Is 24 hours too long?
    Last edited by Maggiemack; July 3, 2020, 07:23 AM.

Well don’t know about ‘driving to Bryan’ (I know dang spell checker!) but yes I routinely dry brine with Kosher salt over night. Salt penetration will eventually reach equilibrium so you can theoretically keep going beyond that to get maximum penetration. So go for it, you’re more than safe.

Comment

• Maggiemack
      Maggiemack commented
      Editing a comment
      You’re right about spellchecker! Before I posted it I checked it to make sure it said dry brining!

You're good. Just brine it overnight, or 24 hours. It is very common around here (the Pit).

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
      Sweaty Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      +1. I usually try to do a minimum of overnight.

Have you tried Lowery seasoning salt? its my go to for dry brine

Comment

• Maggiemack
      Maggiemack commented
      Editing a comment
      No! I have some Lowery seasoning salt, but I bought Morton kosher salt because AmazingRibs.com recommended it. Is Lowery’s better

• geotek230
      geotek230 commented
      Editing a comment
      I think they taste better that way so does the family :-)

Overnight is fine. I personally back off the salt on ribs and go easy. For some reason ribs always tend to get over salted. Perhaps it’s my heavy hand.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      You don't put enough love into it.

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee Ha! My food don’t taste like Hate today. The ribs were fabulous. Two good cooks in a row. Love it. Tomorrow Shazam!

I almost always dry brine for at least 24 hours.

Comment

24 hours is fine, that will give me time to get there!

Comment

24 hrs is actually better if you ask me. Come back with pics!

Comment

I definitely recommend dry brining overnight. Much better than salting right before cooking, which I've done a lot of times due to spur of the moment, "Let's have ribs tonight" type cooks, and I do notice they are better than even a 1-2 hour salt. I think 4-6 hours is probably the turnover point there. I don't know that going more than 8-12 into the 24-hour range helps, but definitely give them some time with kosher salt on them if you can. I've also done the rub overnight too, but this didn't seem to make any difference, unsurprisingly.

Comment

• HouseHomey
            HouseHomey commented
            Editing a comment
            Did three hours today and they were fantastic.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here