Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wondering what you do with a long dry brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wondering what you do with a long dry brine

When I dry brine for a few hours, I dry the meat off, then sprinkle the salt at approx half teaspoon per pound and put into the refrigerator uncovered until time to add the rub and then cook. Bet you do something more similar than not. NOW, suppose I am dry binning for say longer than just over night? How long would you leave the uncovered brinned meat in the refrigerator uncooked before you worried about drying the meat out and so you put it back into some plastic wrap? Interested in your technique.

About the longest I’ve ever gone was 48 hours and that was a chuck roast for chili, so not too concerned about drying out. Normally, though, if I’ve done 24 hours of dry brine and wasn’t able to cook it, I wrap and freeze. I can then take the meat straight from freezer to grill if I want to.

Comment

I would cover it with film. See no reason in drying it out unless making pork skin cracklin.

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Seconded. I dry brined some chicken Thursday afternoon and then our plans changed so that I didn't cook it until Friday. Shifted into a Ziplock Thursday evening and it came out fine. Was also worried about drying out if left uncovered that long.

Steak I dry brine on a rack uncovered for 24 hours as you want to dry the exterior. Same with skin on chicken

For thanksgiving turkey, I usually start the dry brine on Monday or Tuesday and wrap with Saran wrap until Wednesday when I leave it uncovered the last night to dry the skin. Things like ribs and pork butt, I cover the whole time.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here