Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pork Loin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork Loin

I am planning on curing a pork loin to make Canadian bacon. I really want to use the regular maple bacon recipe from the website, as we really enjoy that bacon. I've noticed that the Canadian bacon recipe uses a lot more water. Any thoughts about if i need to increase the water for the pork loin?

You need to keep the pork fully submerged in the brine to cure. That’s probably why you have more water; however, it’s not the water per se what you need to keep an eye on, but the concentration of salts, so that you will end with a product that is properly cured and safe to eat.

Comment

Figure out how much water to keep the loin fully submerged. Then use Doc Blonder's calculator to figure out the right amounts of salt and Prague Powder to cure the loin.

Go to this link on the public site. Read the whole thing. Go to the bottom to the curing calculator and use that to determine the right quantities of water, salt, PP for the cure.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...g-meats-safely

Edit: I've been curing bacon using Meathead's recipes (with some flavor mods) and Doc Blonder's curing calculator for years. Turns out great, no one gets sick :-)
      Last edited by ecowper; April 16, 2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

Thanks for support. I have done actual bacon a number of times always with the calculator. Just the first time giving it a shot with pork loin instead of belly. I will go with ecowper's method to figure out the amount of water to submerge first.

Comment

Canadian Bacon made with pork tenderloin and smoked in cherrywood.
          Cheers,
          Click image for larger version

Name:	24E2736A-D30B-4C2F-BC1C-C657589D3B0E.jpeg
Views:	380
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	832820

Comment

• IowaGirl
            IowaGirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh, dear, that looks tasty. I have two pork tenderloins in the freezer. I think I know what I'm gonna do with 'em now.

I did a pork loin "krasaton" in the cooler months. Soaked in red wine for several hours, dried, brown sugar, crushed coriander and coarse salt liberally covered the meat before it went in a vac pac for 8 days.

I then soaked it again for around and hour to get any residual salt off, and dried again with paper towels. I then cold smoked with cherry and lemon sawdust for around 4 hours before putting it on a rack at the top of the fridge. It stayed in the fridge to dry out for just over a week. The results.........
          Attached Files

Comment

Don’t forget real Canadian bacon or pea meal bacon as we call it calls for a cornmeal coating
            If you wanna be authentic....cornmeal coating
            Never tried making my own but good luck to you
            Attached Files

Comment

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              All bacon in Canada is Canadian bacon! LoL!

• IowaGirl
              IowaGirl commented
              Editing a comment
              You really should try making it, smokin fool -- it's far easier than you might think. I've made Canadian bacon using pork loin and pork tenderloin. Both cuts turn into scrumptious C. bacon.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              IowaGirl ….one day....but for now this has been in abundance since the plague hit and at half to a third of regular price. Don't know why all of a sudden but going thru more tomato, lettuce and mayo now too.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here