Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MSG In Dry Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSG In Dry Brine

Does MSG have the electrical properties (is it polarized) like salt that allows it to penetrate meat. Basically is there any benefit to add-in it to your dry brine routine as opposed to adding just before cooking with your salt free rub? Any chemists in the house this morning?

MSG is a salt in the chemical sense. Once it encounters a little surface moisture on the meat surface, it can dissociate just as regular salt does. The sodium end of the salt will act the same whether it comes from sodium chloride (regular salt) or monsodium glutamate (MSG). The glutamate end? Not so much. It's huge by comparison and just way too big to penetrate into the meat the way that sodium can. But chloride can also go into meat. So with MSG you might say you're only doing half the job.

I'd save the MSG to go on at the last second the way you do with any other flavoring.
    Last edited by Jim White; March 22, 2020, 07:37 AM. Reason: Had left out a "big" about glutamate.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great answer! Thank you!

I will sprinkle a little bit on the meat right before I start cooking. Just for that extra boost of flavor. I do a regular dry bring the night before.

Comment

Doing a side by side with some fried chicken. Let you know how it turns out. Awesome answer Jim White my first run through college was for biology, but that was a long time ago, and a long way away from the desk I hold down most days now. Polarization is interesting stuff, not quite as important as hydrogen bonding, but still cool! I can't look at curly hair without hydrogen bonding from chemistry coming to mind!

Comment

Is this true with all umami flavorings--Disodium Inosinate, and Disodium Guanylate along with MSG ?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here