Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long will pastrami last?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long will pastrami last?

HI - just made the home made Pastrami out of the homemade corned beef per the recipe (cured in the pink salt) and wonder how long the leftovers will last if I vacuum seal them and put in the fridge? thanks much!

I have left it in the fridge a few days, but I usually vacuum seal separate bags with enough for a sandwich in each bag and freeze within a few days.

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      And here I was readin you would "vacuum down" those sandwiches & .................... never mind.

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      FireMan that us a good description of how I eat them though.

Personally I don't think it's likely to go bad, although at some point it will get moldy. It usually doesn't last long in my house, so I've never had to find out.

Comment

I have had it last eight hours, if no one else knows about it!

Comment

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        That was kinda my thoughts. LOL

How long will it last? Hours, perhaps a day or two depending on quantity.
        How long will it last before it goes off? See above.

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        My thoughts 2.

Since it is cured, I would be tempted to treat it like home made bacon.... then again, you soak it in water to desalinate, removing some of the sodium nitrate, so, I am ..... not sure?

If you were to treat it like home cured bacon, I would use within a week, or freeze.

Comment

Keeps for a week (standard leftover rule), only lasts a day so I’ve never tested that.

Comment

Thanks all - so even vacuum sealed no more than a week? sounds short, or?

Comment

I think yer poll is finished. EAT it wins!

Comment

I'm not a food safety expert. As jfmorris says, usually you desalinate, so while it is cured, it's not like you are preserving it long term. But in a fridge vacuum sealed, and still somewhat cured, I would be tempted to go longer than a week. That's me, I like to live on the edge.
              Last edited by JCGrill; March 17, 2020, 03:40 PM. Reason: Added safety, I'm definitely a food expert.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here