Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing Corned Beef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing Corned Beef

Happy March all!
    I'm thinking of curing my own corned beef this year. I'm going to buy a full packer and break it up into 3 pieces like Meathead suggests. My question is, what sort of container should I use for curing? I'm guessing you need to put each piece in a separate container? If so, I'm concerned with space in my fridge. Can you use freezer bags like I use for bacon? Obviously would need 2 gallon bags instead of 1 gallon. Please advise and thank you as always!

Yes, separate containers for each chunk of meat. Yes, you can use zip bags. Make sure you slosh them around a couple of times a day.

Comment

The containers need to be non-reactive, so food grade plastic is a good choice. If you use bags they need lots of capacity to hold a lot of liquid so there is enough nitrite to penetrate, and you'll need to tumble them around so the undersides are submerged or else they cure won't penetrate that side. You can use porcelain or stainless steel. I have some large oplastic tubs I bought at a restaurant supply.

Comment

By the way, I actually prefer just the flat when making corned beef. If I use a packer I separate the point and use it for burnt ends.

Comment

If you have a restaurant supply store nearby check it out. Mine carry Cambro containers some of which are flat but large (in width and length). They have lids, too so that you can set things on top of them if you need to which is nice because you lose less space in the fridge. They also have hotel pans (stainless steel) which can be nice if you want to also use them to braise something.

Alternatively, get a large 2 gallon ziplock and put it on a sheet pan in case of leaks.

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          I generally prefer something deeper than a sheet pan if going with a ziplock. The deeper container, such as a half size deep hotel pan, helps hold the bag upright

This is what I use: https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-St.../dp/B000WEMFGQ

Comment

Thanks CaptainMike , those look perfect! Thank you everyone for the input.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya velcome!

Walmart has corned beef flats and points on sale right now. I usually pick up a few points as that’s what I like. I’m too lazy to cure my own beef, haha.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            I just picked up one of those flats on Saturday - they had no points. Tempted to just make corned beef and cabbage in a pot on the stove, per Meathead 's recipe. If you smoke it, will you soak it in water to remove some of the salt?

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            That's the curious thing. Last weekend I smoked two corned beef points from Walmart. One had been soaking in fresh water for 8 hours with the water changed twice. The other one was taken from the packaging and rinsed off before both were rubbed. I did this to prove to a friend that it would be too salty if it wasn't soaked. He had insisted it wouldn't be so we tested it. In this case he was right. Both were very good. The unsoaked one was not too salty. I can't explain it.

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I usually soak mine for 24 hours, changing the water after 12 hours.

I use Hefty Jumbo Bags. Be sure you put the filled bags into a supportive container, like a deep half-size steam table pan, to contain any leaks or spills.
          Last edited by gcdmd; March 2, 2020, 09:29 AM.

Comment

Here we go! I plan to use the point for pastrami and flat for traditional corned beef and cabbage.
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here