Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this the same thing as Prague powder #1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this the same thing as Prague powder #1?

Found at academy sports.
    Attached Files

Yes

Comment

I would say yes.

Comment

By FDA and USDA regs it's only salt and sodium nitrite. Plus coloring. The % of SN is correct, but the bottle above doesn't have the correct amount of salt. I don't know if it's safe...

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you know it doesn't say. Pink (or Prgaue) salt is 6.25% sodium nitrite and 93.75% salt. Other than some caking agent I don't see why that would be unsafe.

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman - It may well be safe, but I don't know. I do know that according to the above agencies, it has only two ingredients. You have probably seen my comments before on how to see if something is safe - try it on your MIL, and if she survives, it's probably safe...

• RamaJama
          RamaJama commented
          Editing a comment
          I see what you’re saying. NaCl has to be less than 93.75% since there are other ingredients. Although I suppose the people glycol and NaHCO3 could be less than .01%. I do know that all Prague powders contain a red dye and that has to account for some percentage by weight. Idk. I bought it because it was only $1.99, but I might order some clearly labeled Prague # from spice house.

Yes. https://www.thespruceeats.com/what-i...er-no-1-996131

Comment

• Argoboy
          Argoboy commented
          Editing a comment
          Good web site.

Nice to see that an antifreeze and paint additive along with an antacid are added to help if you have issues with heartburn while eating cured meats.

Comment

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Propylene glycol is antifreeze...🤮

• Cheef
          Cheef commented
          Editing a comment
          Propylene glycol is not antifreeze. It is actually a food safe additive and used in the base liquid of vaping liquids. it has a very interesting early history as an absolutely amazing antiseptic/antibacterial agent but big chemical killed that off years ago.
          In a previous post about propylene glycol, we looked into questions about antifreeze chemicals present in food, which Dr. Sean O'Keefe, food science
          Last edited by Cheef; February 8, 2020, 10:23 PM.

• Red Man
          Red Man commented
          Editing a comment
          Cheef Ethylene glycol is the old school anti freeze. Due to the high toxicity of ethylene glycol, the much less toxic propylene glycol is now more commonly used. I do hvac work and use propylene glycol often in chilled water and hot water systems.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here