Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just found out I am on a low salt diet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jfmorris , thanks for your comment. Honestly, I had never even heard of blade tenderized meat before! I looked it up. We have had no problem with Costco steaks cooked med-rare but now I will be more cautious. My local butcher's meat is so much more expensive that I cannot afford it every day, perhap even every week! But it is likely safer. I will be watching for those labels!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You might have one of the best profile pics in The Pit! Smoke on brother!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      There was an earlier post about this. Someone posted a response that showed that Costco's blade tenderizing is highly regulated and that it is VERY safe. If you are cautious, you can buy the whole roasts, which are not blade tenderized or whole cuts in bulk, which are not, as well.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I didn’t know about the issue myself until about a year ago. Lately I’ve been buying whole strip loins and other cuts, and slicing my own steaks. This avoids the issue, and I have a bunch of nice thick vacuum sealed steaks in the freezer ready to go. Fresh Market up here in Huntsville often has really good sales on big prime or ‘prime choice’ cuts.

KCL is a good substitute for salt. I use it in my water prior to work out as it is also a good tool for hydration!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Unknown.jpeg
Views:	157
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	776965

Comment

Spinaker you are makin me blush regarding the pic, LOL.........seriously thank you. Also thanks for the Nu Salt substitute comment, we will have to try it. I wonder if it assists with dry brinning as to water retention, one of the reasons for brinning to begin with?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I would imagine that it still works in the same manner. Although there is no sodium in it. That is a good idea for an experiment. I might have to give that a try.

Here's a link to a short article on using potassium chloride in brines:

And a discussion of using it in various kinds of sausage.
      large percentage of the western population develops high blood pressure

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here