Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Freezing Wet Cured Proteins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freezing Wet Cured Proteins

I'm wanting to cook a bunch of hams around Christmas time for some folks.
    I do not have enough fridge space for curing all at the same time and I want to smoke them all together.
    My plan is to cure as I go and freeze the finished batches and start new ones.
    Is this okay or is freezing wet cured product before cooking not on.

This is a good question and I hope someone shares what they know.

Comment

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how...after-freezing

this is as close to an answer as i could find but it does not address texture. Wet brining is going to increase liquid content and then when frozen will rupture more cells. To me this should adversely affect texture and make it a little mushy, but i cant say ive ever done a side by side.

i know you are curing but i really dont have enough experience here to say if there would a difference. My gut says if you rest them in the fridge after curing before freezing then you should be fine.
      Last edited by grantgallagher; November 28, 2019, 09:45 AM.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        You bring up some valid points that never crossed my mind. You got me wondering about texture. A longer rest in the fridge makes a lot of sense.

I freeze wet cured brisket to make pastrami all the time. Never had an issue.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        How long do you rest in fridge and would cooking from semi thawed be an option.
        Can you pick up a texture difference from one that was not pre frozen.
        Do you think pork would react different to beef.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        I use my normal recipe, then pat dry, vac seal and freeze. No difference. Bet it won't make much difference being pork.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here