Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with Himilayan Pink Salt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with Himilayan Pink Salt?

My mother-in-law gifted us with a small container of Himilayan pink salt (it is not the pink curing salt). It was a very thoughtful gift, but I've never used it before so wanted to ask everyone's thoughts on what to do with it.

It's grain size is slightly larger than typical table salt, but not as large as Kosher Salt. I am planning on just using it as a table salt as I couldn't differentiate the two if I took a blind taste test.

Based on where she bought it, I would imagine it was pretty pricey, so I thought having it on the table, specifically when we have her over for dinner, is the way to go.

Am I missing something? Would you use it differently?

I use it like I do another salt. I like that larger grains for making steaks and other meat cuts. It is not really all that expensive so no worries there. It is a nice gift though.

Comment

• DurhamBuckeye
      DurhamBuckeye commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. She also got me a bottle of nice smoked paprika, but I have had no trouble at all finding ways to put that to use.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I am sure, that is great stuff! DurhamBuckeye

• wu7y
      wu7y commented
      Editing a comment
      That is good stuff and a great gift. We buy it in the larger sized grains and use an adjustable grinder. Having different sized grains for different dishes makes it quite versatile.

From what I have read, it is called a finishing salt, and is supposed to be used lightly at the table. For me, that means using it like you would normally use salt at the table.

Our son gifted us a pair of nice clear acrylic grinders some time ago. I put peppercorns in one and coarse pink Himalayan salt in the other. They do look nice on the table...
    Last edited by RonB; October 31, 2019, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Actually is has more trace minerals and is much better for you than processed and iodized salt. https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...himalayan-salt I use it in place of table salt.

Comment

• DurhamBuckeye
        DurhamBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        I've read things like this. But from what I gathered, it's ~98% sodium chloride and ~2% everything else. I would probably eat so little of it that the benefits from the trace minerals will be minimal.

• DiverDriver
        DiverDriver commented
        Editing a comment
        DurhamBuckeye I agree. For me it is more about what is NOT in it... iodine, anti-caking, and who knows what else.

It is used as a finishing salt. Some chefs mention the contrast of the large size crystals adding crunch to the softness of the meat they serve. I would not grind it as there is no benefit to doing so.

Comment

• parkerj2
        parkerj2 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's not entirely true. I was also gifted some, and the granules were massive. No way it could go right on as a finishing salt.

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes you have to use your judgement to fair cracking any teeth. LOL.

I use it as a finishing salt right after I sear steaks. A little goes a long way. I get mine from a local spice company and they are small granules like regular table salt.

Comment

Maldon Flake salt works much better as a finishing salt, IMO

Comment

My wife and her mother are SO into that Himalayan pink salt. It's about all my wife uses in the kitchen, along with sea salt. I keep trying to tell her its just salt + some iron oxide or other minerals, but she is convinced its better for you. Ce la vie. Anyway, just use it like regular table salt. The larger grains may not work with all salt shakers, but we use it on the plate, on popcorn, ears of corn, whatever.

BTW you can buy it in bulk containers with the other spices at places like Sam's Club. Costco probably has it as well. That way its maybe $6 for a large container of it.

Comment

I don't know about anyone else, but I use it as salt. Comes in a grinder. Twist, twist, eat.

Comment

It can be used in cooking & finishing. Good in baking, pasta water, venison & buffalo steaks.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                It's also good for catching birds by sprinkling it on their tails.

I bought it once. Never again. To me it's salt and I have plenty of that stuff.

Comment

It's just salt. I have a grinder that grinds coarse enough for a finishing salt, and a deli container of it that's the same consistency as table salt. It's just salt.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here