Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disney Turkey Legs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disney Turkey Legs

Sorry newbie here. I couldn’t get my question to post on the recipe page so Im asking here. Why do you need Prague #1 when brining turkey legs. If you cook at 325 I thought you were safe.

If all you are doing is brining, please don't use Prague #1 - use regular salt, (NaCl). The Prague powder is for curing meat and should not be used for daily cooking.

And welcome to The Pit.

Comment

For Meathead's Disney-Style turkey legs recipe, you would use it to cure them. It is not used simply for safety, if you take poultry to 165 it is safe. (Cooking at 325 doesn't guarantee safety, it is the finished temp that does.) Curing adds that special tangy flavor and imitates the turkey legs they sell at Disney and other theme park food stands.

Comment

That’s what we used to call one of my customers. She was a fitness fanatic & her legs were ............ well, ya get the picture.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Brined?

It is solely to make the turkey taste like ham, as ham is cured. Uncured ham tastes like regular pork butt.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, that makes sense if your trying to get the cured flavor into the legs. Is there another good recipe out there or recommendations?

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            Simon and Garfunkel, cooked until at least 165* I haven't done legs but lots of thighs. Turkey is yum!

That is the basic cure for the legs, I used the same in my wet cure. You can add maple sugar to it instead of brown sugar. Or once you rinse them off and dry them add a Simon & Garfunkle rub to them before smoking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here