Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salting meat before vacuum sealing and freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JeffJ
    replied
    I do this all of the time and have never had a problem. As for the cured effect I'm pretty sure that only applies to pink salt.

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    I've been cooking most of my meat frozen these days - steaks, pork chops, low/slow meats, etc.. It facilitates better surface color for steaks and chops due to the longer cook time and develops a killer smoke ring for low/slow.

• ILikePigButts
    commented on 's reply
    No it's a Giant Eagle. It's usually pretty expensive there so when something is on sale it's a good idea to just get it lol.

• ILikePigButts
    commented on 's reply
    I thought about that but then I figured if I take it out of the freezer and into the fridge to thaw for a day or two it would be doing the same thing essentially.

• Mr. Bones
    replied
    As others have said, it will work jus fine.

Dillons, by chance?
    They have that sale on here, BOGO chuckies, top, an bottom round roast.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    According to a chef friend of mine, he worries about being able to predict how much salt (and how quickly ... or slowly) will be absorbed under vacuum. Based on his concerns, I've decided that for me, I'm going to dry brine then rinse to make sure that there isn't any more salt that could possibly be absorbed. I typically move from brine, freeze, and thaw straight into a SV bath (not really part of this discussion) ... and the SV step makes it even harder to predict the behavior of seasonings.

• Red Man
    replied
    MBMorgan I'm curious what wonky behavior salt has under vacuum. The reason I ask is I recently got a vacuum sealer and it seems awfully convenient to salt before vac sealing.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I do this also. I do leave in the refrigerator overnight before freezing. I don't know if that helps, but it can't hurt. As already mentioned, make sure you mark as brined.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    commented on 's reply
    Sure do, Randy-Phx. It doesn't even take a significantly longer time to cook, in my experience.

• Spinaker
    replied
    I do this with pork shoulders and ribs. Works just fine.

Leave a comment:

• Randy-Phx
    commented on 's reply
    You go from the freezer straight to the smoker?

• Steve R.
    replied
    I buy chuck roasts when they go on sale, salt, and apply rub. Then, instead of the smoker, they get vacuum sealed and go to the freezer. When it comes time to cook, there is no thawing required this way.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    I say yes but write that on your label along with the date.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    replied
    Originally posted by MBMorgan View Post
    Personally, I prefer to dry brine, rinse thoroughly, and dry off thoroughly before vac sealing and freezing. That way you avoid the potentially wonky behavior of salt under vacuum either before or after freezing.
    Plus 1on this method.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    replied
    Personally, I prefer to dry brine, rinse thoroughly, and dry off thoroughly before vac sealing and freezing. That way you avoid the potentially wonky behavior of salt under vacuum either before or after freezing.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here