Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Salt Brining calculator

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probably a good idea to rinse the meat under hot tap water first. Then, as long as its in the brine for less than a week, not much different than holding meat in the fridge. Curing salt kills some, but not all microbes. Remember, Prague salt is 94% table salt, so you are actually brining with both nitrite and sodium chloride.

Comment

DeusDingo-- Yes, perfectly safe. Give the dry rub a day to penetrate and stick to the surface.

Comment

docblonder and Meathead I am totally confused now. docblonder when I use your calculator for a 1.5lb of meat it determines I need 2.5 Tbs of Morton kosher salt. https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesInd...alculator.html Then I go to Meathead write up on Dry Brining Easier and Less Wasteful... and he says to used 1 1/2 tsps. per pound of meat. I have used his 1 1/2 tsps. and found it to be about perfect. What is the difference. There is a big difference in 2T and 1t

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Moving on, the discrepancy lies in the fact that Blonder's calculator at this link is a wet brine, whereas Meathead's Dry Brine article is about, well..dry..brining. Wet brining may use a LOT more salt, but you pull it out after x-amount of time so it doesn't absorb too much. Dry brining is a done deal, so uses a specific amount and done.

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          docblonder calculator also allows you to set the desired salt level in the meat. That's the part you're missing. Doc's calculator starts at a 5% salt level, pretty sure that wasn't the level that Meathead is going for.
          Last edited by pkadare; October 8, 2019, 12:09 AM.

• mountainsmoker
          mountainsmoker commented
          Editing a comment
          pkadare I redid it at 2.5% this morning. See my post below. Still extremely high.If you are looking wet cure meat with sodium nitrate powder, read this article first.

Have a nice day.

mountainsmoker The calculator is for WET CURING with nitrite aka Prague Powder #1. CURING is very different from brining. Dry brining is different from wet brining.

Comment

Meathead and [USER="24"]Huskee[/U SER] I chose dry bine in docblonder calculator Please, please go to the reference I give and check it out. There is no reference of curing only of brining and no reference of Praque #1 or any other curing salt

Here are my test numbers, 2.5% salt meat leve, I have redone them from the 5% to of last night to 2.5% to be more realistic. The 1.5lb. boneless rib eye, and chose dry brine. The result was 1.2 T still far more than the 3/4 tsp suggested by Meathead

Again here is the formula; https://genuineideas.com/ArticlesInd...alculator.html

docblonder does mention his article on curing with sodium nitrate power, but that is all. "If you are looking wet cure meat with sodium nitrate powder, read this article first."
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; October 8, 2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I was confused too until I read this line: "A quarter or a half percent salt level is typical for equilibrium brining." So I set the calculator to 1/4% and used a 3lb piece of meat and chose the dry brine button, and I got 0.2 tablespoons.

Ok, if I change the slider to 1% salt level the calculator recommends .5T which if convert to 1.5t. So it works if the right numbers are put in.

Subject closed.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here