Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Cure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Cure

I never thought the process of curing meat to be so involved. I like to keep things simple. The following is informative and fun to watch.
    Introduction to Cures | Whole Muscle Meat & Ground | PS Seasoning - Bing video

I like PS Seasonings recipes and videos. Very Informative. I've ordered from them a few times. I'm just trying some of their All Purpose Meat Cure and Brine Mix. Last week I brined chicken pieces for 24 hours-way too salty. Yesterday I brined boneless pork loin chops for 1 hour and they were very good. I'm wondering if this stuff isn't similar to Morton Tender Quick?
    Thanks for your post bbqLuv . This curing stuff is fun to learn more about!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20221023_202353.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.29 MB ID:	1313747

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	57.0 KB ID:	1313748

Comment

If you are going to cure anything, I would encourage you to read Meathead's article on The Science of Curing Meats Safely. (Check "Summary" for Tender Quick Reference.)

Also, his article on The Science of Salt important to review as well.

"Morton Tender Quick contains 0.5% sodium nitrate and 0.5% sodium nitrite, and anticaking agents. Despite the misleading name, it is a curing salt and is not a tenderizer.​"

Tender quick is not recommended. It does not contain the correct levels of Nitrite. Tender Quick also contains Nitrate, which is not contained in PP#1, which Meathead recommends for use when curing.

Of course, It is your kitchen, but make sure to review these articles for important safety information you may want to consider.

Comment

Thanks Spinaker for the reminder and for posting Meathead's article on the Science of Curing Meats Safely. In NO WAY am I suggesting anyone use these two products as a meat cure. I have only used the PS Seasoning product as a "fast brine" and have never used Tender Quick.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I hear ya. I just like to make sure others have checked those articles out. No harm done at all!

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          No harm, no foul, we don't want to cull the herd.
          I will leave that to Pumpkin spiced BBQ.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here