Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing Container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing Container

All this pastrami talk and the knowledge I don’t have to use brisket has me ready to go. On the free side Corned Beef recipe the volume of brine is 1 gal. Then a slab of meat goes inside too. My only container large is enough is my SV tub and that won’t fit in my fridge.

Any other ideas with what I might have in my kitchen? Can I fill my 4 qt Pyrex bowl with as much brine as it will take over the meat and add more if the meat sucks some up and surfaces?

Settled for a foodsaver bag cut longer than a precut gallon. Worked ok. Hard to keep it upright so a bunch of the salt missed and I had to eyeball how much more to add. Off to a great start!

Comment

The big zip lock bags, stockpot? I dry cure just about everything but ham so probably not the best for this question.

Comment

I've used 2.5 gallon (I think) Ziploc in a pot.

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          There’s a whole section of the storage bag aisle I’ve missed

Having Olympics on the brain, and being Canadian, I read this as "Curling" Container and was intrigued. :-)

Comment

I’ve done most of my cures in either 2.5 gallon zip lock bags, made by Hefty I think, or in a 2 gallon stainless steel stock pot. Which I just realized I threw out because my daughter came over and burned stuff so bad in it I couldn’t get the charred mess out of the bottom after a week of trying. So plastic bags going forward I suppose!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Buddy, I've got the copyright on this thread concerning the "I think" expression when it comes to ziploc bags....

• jhapka
            jhapka commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn’t realize ziplock bags larger than a gallon were out there so that is awesome. My wife convinced me that stainless steel is reactive last night. Could’ve just used a stock pot

For my bacon brines, I use a 2gallon Ziploc contained in a in a roasting pan.

Comment

So ZIplocs work but put them in something in case they leak. Also, you can get large flat Cambro containers and their matching lids which are nice because you can set things on top of them and still get use out of that real estate in the fridge

Comment

2 gallon Rubbermaid containers will do a whole brisket. Yeah, they take up some room, but sacrifices must be made.

Comment

I took out one of the split shelves in my garage fridge and use tall brining buckets. A large pot would work as well. Not sure that’s an option for you but I had a similar issue with larger hunks of meat. If you make as much pastrami as I do (now even my family is fighting over it) you’ll find a way !! Love that stuff.

Comment

• jhapka
                  jhapka commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ‘Garage fridge’ I think I’m seeing a solution to my problem

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here