Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing ham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bmader
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for your answer. I appreciate it.
    Brian

• texastweeter
    replied
    Never used the recipe here to make my hams, but I will agree with Spinaker about cooking to temp, not time.

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    replied
    Always use the calculator to determine curing times. That is the gold standard. You want to put in the thickest part of the ham as the measurement. Use tube/cone for the setting.

Additionally, always cook by temp and never time. The times listed are just guidelines. Cook the ham until it is at 140 F internal at the thickest point. If you are gonna wait a week or more to eat it all, take it up too 165 F.

Leave a comment:

• bmader
    started a topic Curing ham

Curing ham

I've cured bacon a number of times, and now I want to do a ham. The butcher cut a 8.8 lb ham for me which was about 8 lb after removing skin and fat - the upper section. I want to use the AR recipe "How to make a cured smoked ham from scratch", but am a bit confused. The header on the actual recipe says to cure 7 days (for a 20 lb ham) but the curing calculator says 19 days for my 5" thick ham (tube/cone). This piece is rather rectangular with the other dimension about 6.5 inches. The recipe header also says a cook time of 12 hours, but the "cook" paragraph in the recipe says "up to 5 hours. Rule of thumb is 30 minutes per inch" - which would give me around 2.5 hours.
    Could someone help me clarify these points?

Thank you.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here