Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining

Just curious for those in the know. It's been a VERY LONG time since I've been able to fire up the kettle for a number of reasons I won't bore you with. My youngest daughter is coming over for Thanksgiving dinner. I asked her what she wanted: turkey or ham? She responded with Pork Butt For years and years I've used Morton's Kosher salt. My local grocery store is now carrying Crystal Diamond. Seems the chefy crowd prefers the Crystal Diamond (I don't know why). Long story short, I'm wondering what salt y'all prefer to use for dry brining proteins.

No preference, Morton's Kosher is what they got around here.

Comment

Brand doesnt matter in terms of salinity or quality, but realize that the Diamond is less salt per volume.

Comment

I don't dry brine a lot so not particular here, even use no name brands but lately I've started using Pink Himalayan salt when dry brining.
        Like the results.

Comment

My understanding is that all the recipes on this website and in Meathead’s book are written with Morton’s Coarse Kosher Salt in mind, and that’s why I always buy. Results have been great.

Comment

7x57mm I was wondering the same thing, sorta. I use Diamond Crystal because that how I was "kitchen raised". To rickgregory point, though. There is a difference in the salinity, as I have painfully learned this weekend (my bacon post will be up shortly in the Pork section).

wonder if anyone has done a substitution comparison?

Comment

Originally posted by SheilaAnn View Post
              7x57mm I was wondering the same thing, sorta. I use Diamond Crystal because that how I was "kitchen raised". To rickgregory point, though. There is a difference in the salinity, as I have painfully learned this weekend (my bacon post will be up shortly in the Pork section).

wonder if anyone has done a substitution comparison?
              Yes. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/how_to...nd_vice_versa/

Basically, either go by weight or if you go by volume, Morton's is 2x as much salt per volume as Diamond. If a recipe calls for, say, 1tsp, assume it was 1tsp of Diamond (you can add more after tasting).

Comment

The salinity is the same by weight, but different by volume because the salt crystals are different sizes.

Comment

For accuracy go by weight. There are weight conversion charts on the internet showing weight per volume of various brands of salt.

Recommended dry brining is 1/2 tsp of Morton's per pound of meat. 1 tsp Morton's weighs 6 grams so 1/2 tsp is 3 grams. Use 3 grams Diamond Crystal per pound and you should be fine.

Personally, I just eyeball it, and I usually use pink Himalayan salt.
                  Last edited by 58limited; November 21, 2021, 06:21 PM.

Comment

To all, thank you for the feedback 👍

Comment

7x57mm surpassed by 7mm-08.
                      I am not sure how to grill either.

Comment

Either one is fine.

Comment

• bbqLuv
                          bbqLuv commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Fine as frog hair.

• bbqLuv
                          bbqLuv commented
                          Editing a comment
                          CUP not to be confused with LUP, Oh for PSI

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here