Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ham desalinatin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ham desalinatin

Hey everyone, happy Friday!!

I’ve got a ham in the cure right now, ready to be smoked on Saturday (tomorrow) afternoon. It’s not very big, only about 3.5 inches thick and 5 pounds. So it’s closer to a brisket than a traditional ham in size. My question is how long should I allow for desalination? I did one last year, where I only soaked it in fresh water for 2-3 hours, and it was way too salty. So I definitely need to desalinate it longer. I was originally thinking an overnight desalination, where I take it out of the cure tonight (Friday night) and soak it in fresh water overnight, but I’m afraid this would be too long. Would I be better off beginning the fresh water soak early Saturday morning (I’ve got to get up before 6 anyway to stain my deck) for a good 5 - 6 hours?

Thanks for the help!!

I think you reasoning on the matter is correct, 6 hrs vs. all night.

Comment

Also, what size container? You need enough water to continue pulling salt out without reaching equilibrium.

Comment

• Grillin Dad
        Grillin Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        Container holds about a gallon of water plus the meat. Also, meat has been in the cure about 2 weeks, which is about right, according to the cure calculator.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Grillin Dad I'd replace the water every 2-3 hours to be sure enough salt is getting pulled out

I wouldn’t be too worried about an overnight desalination. The basic idea is that the water can only get pull x amount of salt before it is done so leaving it in longer makes little difference. So changing the water will pull more salt out. I would aim for at least 2 changes and if you are worried still then cut a bit off and fry it to see how it tastes before cooking the rest.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup!! Let it sit for a bit and then cut off a piece and fry it. If still to salty change the water and let it sit a few more hours till it gets where ya want it!!

So I ended up pulling it out of the cure at 6am the next morning (Saturday) and soaked it in fresh water. Changed the fresh water at about 11 and put the ham on the smoker at 1. Painted at mustard-balsamic glaze on it when ham reached 135. Pulled ham off the smoker when ham reached 150, about 4:30. Let it rest for 15 minutes and sliced her up. Was awesome, salt was just about perfect!! Thanks for the input!!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear!!

• Backroadmeats
        Backroadmeats commented
        Editing a comment
        Great to hear. Fresh smoked ham right out of the smoker is to die for!! I would like a little more info on the mustard balsamic glaze if you would be willing to share!!

• Grillin Dad
        Grillin Dad commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, it’s pretty simple. Equal parts of Dijon mustard and balsamic vinegar (I used 1/4 cup each), 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and a couple good shakes of black pepper. Bring it to a simmer and cook until it thickens up. Really easy and gives great balance to the salty ham. I always make more than I need and serve the leftover on the side. My kids even prefer the extra glaze to ketchup (which is about as good a complement as you’ll get at my house).

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here