Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin' (Buckboard) Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin' (Buckboard) Bacon

I have some pork butt sliced into slabs, and sitting in the cure. I will soak, smoke and slice it up later this week, once the weather clears.

I realized that if I ever wanted to make bacon again, I was going to have to do it buckboard style. The place I had gotten the pork belly before (US Foods) hasn't carried it for over two years, and I haven't seen it anywhere else for less than $7/pound. I'm in Charlotte, NC, and all the butchers around here that I can get to (as in late or weekend hours) are Halal, so no luck there.

But then, the Food Lion near me keeps selling pork butt at $1/pound (MVP special). So I'll occasionally pick up a few to make NJ pork roll (Taylor Ham, taste of home!) and I thought, "why not?"

But I have a question about the recipe. I'm following the basic Meathead recipe for belly bacon, but the rundown of bacon types recommended that I follow the Canadian Bacon recipe, which expects me to roll the thing up into a chub, and cure it that way.

I'm sure the way I'm doing it will turn out fine, but of course I must worry that I'm missing something important. (I'm an older gentleman (ahem) of European descent, worrying is how we express love; it's what drives the children away to become successful in life.). Does the meat/fat ratio require a higher amount of cure? I notice that it's giving off much less liquid than the last time I tried this, but that was with belly bacon.

Also, since they came to slightly different sizes when I cut them, I'm curing the lesser one as long as the greater one. Which way should I have sliced them? I hope they will be delicious either way.
    Last edited by BBillFleet; August 31, 2021, 06:30 PM. Reason: Added tags

Funny you should mention buckboard bacon... I just found Jess Pryles' recipe for this and am going to try it soon. https://jesspryles.com/pork-butt-bac...rk-butt-bacon/

Comment

• BBillFleet
      BBillFleet commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I saw her recipe as well, but I figured I'd follow the recipes here. There are calculators here.

After the comment below, I went back to have a look, and her recipe is for a dry cure, not the ‘safer’ wet one that Meathead recommends.

But she does have a link to a calculator, that works for both wet and dry cures. But neither mentions the thickness vs. time calculation that is covered here…
      Last edited by BBillFleet; September 5, 2021, 08:09 PM. Reason: Responding to @rickgregory

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      She doesn't give you a calculator but does give you a formula which is pretty standard - 2.5% by weight of salt, including 0.25% by weight of curing salt.

Have you looked at Meathead's curing calculator? It will answer your curing questions as far as how much and how long per your individual meat's dimensions. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ly/#calculator

Comment

See now I have to look up Jess Pryles, and buckboard bacon. It is all your fault.
      You done good! I have to say. I have half a slab of pork belly to try to make bacon or burnt ends.
      I guess I will have to consult SWMBO.

Comment

• BBillFleet
        BBillFleet commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky you, having pork belly just lying around. I can't get my hands on it unless I make a special trip, and that means arousing my wife's attention, and then it's all downhill from there.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Comprehensive Temperature Magnet With 80+ Important Temps

Amazingribs.com temperature magnet
    Winner of the National BBQ Association’s product of the year award. This 8.5″ x 11″ magnet contains more that 80 benchmark temperatures for meats (both USDA recommended temps as well as the temps chefs recommend), fats and oils, sugars, sous vide, eggs, collagens, wood combustion, breads, and more. Although it is not certified as all-weather, we have tested it outdoors in Chicago weather and it has not delaminated in three years, but there is minor fading.

Click here to order.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain’s portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it’s also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Blackstone Rangetop Combo: Griddle And Deep Fryer In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, grilled cheese, and so much more. And why deep fry indoors when you can avoid the smell and mess by doing it outside!

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

The Good-One Open Range is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read ourcomplete review

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
    Click here to read our detailedreview