Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Makin' (Buckboard) Bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makin' (Buckboard) Bacon

I have some pork butt sliced into slabs, and sitting in the cure. I will soak, smoke and slice it up later this week, once the weather clears.

I realized that if I ever wanted to make bacon again, I was going to have to do it buckboard style. The place I had gotten the pork belly before (US Foods) hasn't carried it for over two years, and I haven't seen it anywhere else for less than $7/pound. I'm in Charlotte, NC, and all the butchers around here that I can get to (as in late or weekend hours) are Halal, so no luck there.

But then, the Food Lion near me keeps selling pork butt at $1/pound (MVP special). So I'll occasionally pick up a few to make NJ pork roll (Taylor Ham, taste of home!) and I thought, "why not?"

But I have a question about the recipe. I'm following the basic Meathead recipe for belly bacon, but the rundown of bacon types recommended that I follow the Canadian Bacon recipe, which expects me to roll the thing up into a chub, and cure it that way.

I'm sure the way I'm doing it will turn out fine, but of course I must worry that I'm missing something important. (I'm an older gentleman (ahem) of European descent, worrying is how we express love; it's what drives the children away to become successful in life.). Does the meat/fat ratio require a higher amount of cure? I notice that it's giving off much less liquid than the last time I tried this, but that was with belly bacon.

Also, since they came to slightly different sizes when I cut them, I'm curing the lesser one as long as the greater one. Which way should I have sliced them? I hope they will be delicious either way.
    Last edited by BBillFleet; August 31, 2021, 06:30 PM. Reason: Added tags

Funny you should mention buckboard bacon... I just found Jess Pryles' recipe for this and am going to try it soon. https://jesspryles.com/pork-butt-bac...rk-butt-bacon/

Comment

• BBillFleet
      BBillFleet commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I saw her recipe as well, but I figured I'd follow the recipes here. There are calculators here.

After the comment below, I went back to have a look, and her recipe is for a dry cure, not the ‘safer’ wet one that Meathead recommends.

But she does have a link to a calculator, that works for both wet and dry cures. But neither mentions the thickness vs. time calculation that is covered here…
      Last edited by BBillFleet; September 5, 2021, 08:09 PM. Reason: Responding to @rickgregory

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      She doesn't give you a calculator but does give you a formula which is pretty standard - 2.5% by weight of salt, including 0.25% by weight of curing salt.

Have you looked at Meathead's curing calculator? It will answer your curing questions as far as how much and how long per your individual meat's dimensions. https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ly/#calculator

Comment

See now I have to look up Jess Pryles, and buckboard bacon. It is all your fault.
      You done good! I have to say. I have half a slab of pork belly to try to make bacon or burnt ends.
      I guess I will have to consult SWMBO.

Comment

• BBillFleet
        BBillFleet commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky you, having pork belly just lying around. I can't get my hands on it unless I make a special trip, and that means arousing my wife's attention, and then it's all downhill from there.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here