Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry Brining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Brining

If my rub has salt in it can I use it like a dry brine instead of kosher salting ahead of cook? And how about thinner cuts like ribs. TYIA

I often use a salty rub to dry brine. Don’t think it hurts anything, but the spices won’t penetrate any better.

Comment

Absolutely. I do it all the time.

Comment

You could use it, but think you would have to watch out for over seasoning by putting enough on to dry brine.

I don't dry brine pork ribs. They can get a hammy taste/texture if you're heavy handed with the salt.

Comment

Yes, but you may want to dry brine with a smaller amount of salt depending on how much salt is in the rub. The easiest way to determine if you need more salt is to cook somethin' using the rub. If it needs more salt, add a bit before applying the rub next time.

Comment

Look at the label to see where the salt falls. Top of the content list you probably don't need anymore. If it falls to the lower end of the list you might want to cut your dry brine salt in half since the rub will make up for the rest. I also don't dry brine ribs. I'll rub them up and put back in fridge while I get the fire going.

Comment

I use Huskee 's rule of thumb as my Golden Rule of Dry Brining with Salty Rubs:
              Look at the Nutrition label:
              200-300mg sodium, brine as if it weren't salted at all
              300-400mg sodium, brine lightly.

400+mg, maybe skip brining.

I like his numbers here. They work well for my family.

Kathryn

Comment

• Jfrosty27
                Jfrosty27 commented
                Editing a comment
                That's great advice. I hadn't seen that before. Really takes the guess work out. Thanks Kathryn!

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                I just knew that pesky Huskavarna guy was good for something. Good go by.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm glad this works for you. This something Dave Parrish & I workshopped when we were writing recipes for his newly launched ABCbarbecue (at the time) website's turkey w/ SnS recipe.

I'm going to put a couple of boneless chuck roasts in my pellet grill. I dry brined them overnight with coarse kolhser salt. Should I avoid rubs that contain salt? Thanks

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                I would be in the avoid salted rubs column. If you dry brined the way the free site says that should do it.

Yes. Avoid the salt. Just hit the beef with pepper, garlic powder and onion powder to your taste.

Comment

If you dry brine absolutely avoid rubs with salt

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here