Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Curing & Expiration Date

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Curing & Expiration Date

I am going to cure my own corned beef for St. Patrick's Day this year for the first time. I'm wondering about whether curing the meat extends the expiration date. I bought a brisket at Costco this morning, it's got a "Sell By" Date of 3-13. I was planning to stick it in the freezer today then defrost and put it in the brine on 3-10. If I do that then cook it on the 17th, will I be OK? Obviously one solution is to cook this brisket now and then go get another one closer to St. Pat's, but my Costco had a big supply today, which is not always the case, so I didn't want to miss the chance.

"Sell By" is not an expiration date. You're fine. But yes, curing and salting meat does help. It's hard to set a cut and dry expiration date for meat. Keep it chilled and cook it at safe temps.

Comment

I have left it in the cyrovac for 30 days, (wet aging), before cooking, and some here have gone much longer. You should be fine.

Comment

Don’t let the "Sell By" date bother you. It is not an official date of any government agency, with certain exceptions for eggs. The FDA issued a memo in 2019 which urged labelers to change the wording to "Best if Used By" to reduce food waste in this country.

Comment

I agree with the others, you are good to go!

Comment

My understanding the sale by date allows for shelf life at home, a few days to a week, and assumes proper storage.
            Happy curing to you and PBR too.

Comment

I wouldn’t freeze it. Just leave it in the cryovac until you cure it. Wet aging in the cryovac will improve the taste and tenderness.

Comment

I’d also start curing sooner. Depending on thickness, it could take seven or more days to cure, one day to desalinate, then ideally two days for the rub to set. That two days with the rub really does make a difference.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here