Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

PLEASE NOTE: Several years ago I changed the recipe to cut in half the chili powder and the cumin, and completely removed the cayenne pepper.

Why? Well, my wife recently got some fancier glass jar organic spices, and I was quite surprised at the difference they made in my rub. Way too chili & cumin-tasting for me, and too spicy. I wasn't used to high quality spices! This rub isn't meant to be spicy. Therefore I experimented and altered their amounts in case anyone uses higher grade spices they hopefully won't find the cumin-chili-spice to be overpowering as my family did with the spice upgrade.

Former amounts in blue in case you liked it as it was.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the rub that I developed long before discovering AmazingRibs and Meathead's Memphis Dust. I based this off from a recipe I found online somewhere and have tweaked it until it works perfectly for me & my family. It was developed primarily for ribs, but as you'd expect works great on pork butts and is amazing on smoked chicken too. This rub contains less herbs than MD and I prefer the less herbal profile.

If you care to try this, please give me feedback!

Huskee's Rib Rub (small batch)
    • 1/4 C white sugar
    • 1/3 C brown sugar, dried (see note below on drying)
    • 3 Tbsp (~3/16 C) table salt-- When I quadruple this recipe I use ~3/4 C or a pinch over.
    • 2 tsp chili powder (formerly 4tsp)
    • 1 tsp ground cumin (formerly 2 tsp)
    • 1 tsp ground black pepper
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp onion powder
    • formerly 1 tsp cayenne pepper
    • important- top the racks with generous layer of brown sugar immediately before or after putting in the smoker.

For a downloadable Excel file version of this, complete with built-in calculator for multiplying the ingredients, click here. Thank you RichBrew for your help with that!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG0069.jpg Views:	565 Size:	109.6 KB ID:	50217

This is not a spicy rub, it is perfectly balanced between spicy, savory, salty and sweet.
    Cayenne or black pepper may be doubled if you like more heat. Don't overdo it until you're sure.

*MAKE SURE you're not using injected or 'enhanced' ribs/pork/chicken. This may have added salt from the processing plant and will make the product too salty using this rub. Buy only natural meat that doesn't say enhanced or injected with salt solution.*

Trim and prep ribs properly. Add a light spritz of spray oil like PAM to ribs to help rub stick. You may omit this if you don't have it or don't want to. I've used the mustard method with no appreciable difference, just messier.

Here is this process (most of it) in pictures

Place a generous layer on ribs at least 1-2hr prior to adding to smoker, in order for the salt in the rub to dry brine the meat. May be put on overnight. Press with fingers gently to help seat the rub to avoid excess falloff. Don't add so much that the meat is not visible underneath, as this rub contains salt!

Wrap in plastic wrap and keep in fridge until smoker is up to temp, DO NOT let ribs come to room temp first. Add a small dash right before placing on smoker to replace any that may have dripped off.

As noted, this recipe calls for adding a generous coating of brown sugar out of the bag to top side of ribs right as I place them on smoker. This melts and creates a glaze that makes my ribs what they are. I like sweet, but it's not overpoweringly sweet. There's enough salt underneath to balance it. It's the Huskee's Real Wood BarbecueTM way.

(Here's my brown sugar method in pics)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG6361.jpg Views:	372 Size:	135.6 KB ID:	50220

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG6362.jpg Views:	382 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	50221

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG6363.jpg Views:	379 Size:	122.1 KB ID:	50222

I like to put another small dash of rub on top of the brown sugar so everything stays balanced. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG6366.jpg Views:	388 Size:	151.5 KB ID:	50224

This batch is enough for a few slabs of ribs or a good sized pork butt or two. Can easily be multiplied. I usually quadruple it when I make it.

Note:
    To dry brown sugar: Spread measured amount(s) of brown sugar on a paper plate or on parchment paper on a regular plate or baking pan. Spread out thin in even layer to edges of plate. One average sized paper plate will easily hold up to 1C if you were doubling the recipe. Use more than one plate if multiplying the recipe further.

Once b-sugar is spread out in even layer place in a 230 degree oven for about 20-30 min. Remove plates of sugar and let cool. Sugar will begin making crackling sounds after a while as it's cooling, this is normal. Once completely cooled, sugar "cookies" should be hard to the touch. Bend the plate to remove the cookie and slip into a plastic Zip bag. Seal with as little air in bag as possible. Roll the bag with a roller or glass jar thoroughly, to grind all clumps to powder. Once the sugar is a powder, add the other ingredients to the bag and mix.
    Grind it soon after it cools. If it sits too long, especially in high humidity environments, it will soften back up!

I mix this all up in a plastic Zip bag. After all ingredients are added, seal the bag with as much air as possible. Shake the bag vigorously to mix ingredients. You can whisk in a bowl too, however you choose. Rub may be spooned on, but I like using a leftover seasoning shaker or Parmesan cheese shaker with large holes to sprinkle mine.

Happy Smoking!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Huskee; March 13, 2016, 11:48 PM.

Why do you dry the brown sugar? Is it to make it easier to "shake" onto the meat? For Memphis Dust I just use regular brown sugar out of container and mix with other ingredients and rub on, etc.

Comment

Why do you dry the brown sugar? Is it to make it easier to "shake" onto the meat? For Memphis Dust I just use regular brown sugar out of container and mix with other ingredients and rub on, etc.
      Yes. Then it has the consistency of white sugar, although when rolled it might be a little finer. I find that it would clump in the bag, and especially since I began using an old spice bottle and a Parmesan cheese bottle as shakers for it no clumps makes thing a bit easier and more consistent.
      Last edited by Huskee; July 19, 2014, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Man this sounds great, I'm going to have to give the recipe and technique a try. Thanks Aaron...

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          You're welcome. If you do use it give me an honest critique!

This is similar to a concoction I use except I don't add cumin. I'll give this a try next time I do some ribs.

Comment

Use the cumin Jub Jub. When you make the rub it smells strong but once you do you cook you won't be disappointed. It's a great rub.

Comment

That is awful darn close to the rub I normally throw together for pork. I add some smoked paprika in mine, but I don't think I've tried onion powder. (I'm terrible, I usually go to the spice drawer and just start grabbing things)

Next time I make ribs, I'll give that a spin and report back. Thanks!

Comment

It gives it a nice balance IMO. Looking forward to your honest critique jholmgren!

Comment

Looks good Huskee. I am looking for something a bit different than MMD and I will try yours next. Since I dry brine with salt 24 hrs before I put on the rub I think I will leave the salt out initially.

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've done it both ways and prefer to dry brine with the intact rub...but that is preference. I recommend a slight dust of finish salt if you go saltless. The rub tastes lackluster when it's saltless IMO.

That is what I did Mar. Also, I did leave out the 2 tsp of cumin and replaced with one heaping tsp of Allspice. Came out very, very good.

I like a little cumin in my beef rub.

Comment

• GadjetGriller
                  GadjetGriller commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Very nice Jerod Broussard ! I dislike Cumin (taste to much like dirt to me) so the Allspice seems like a great idea!! Gonna try it tomorrow!!

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  GadjetGriller i love me some Allspice

The seasoning part of this gets complicated really fast. The road is wide and seems forgiving but, the cotton pickin taste buds are the final test. Also, what it taste like in the jar/storage container is not a very good indicator of how it will taste after it comes out of the smoker.

Huskee, I am going to do my next pork roast using your recipe as you prefer it. I will let you know how it goes.

Comment

I hope you like it Barry. If not I promise I wont move next door to you!

Comment

Tried your rub on ribs, Huskee, and thought it was excellent! I also like "sweet," and loved the result from adding some brown sugar to the ribs before hanging them on my Pit Barrel Cooker. Mixing some more for Labor Day. I'm feeling a little adventurous and am going to try Jerod's suggestion and make a "comparison" batch substituting allspice for the cumin.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Did you ever do the comparison Mike? What was/is your opinion?

• Koy Schoppe
                      Koy Schoppe commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mike, How did the extra layer of brown sugar work in the PBC? I am looking at trying this, but was just curious if that extra layer would just fall off when hung vertically.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Koy Schoppe I think it would mostly drip off. That actually was my biggest hesitancy on hanging ribs to cook em.

Great, thanks for the results Mike! I too would like to try some allspice out of curiosity. But I like my cumin too....

Comment

Well, it's been a while but I made the Huskee rub and used it on a rack of ribs. They were very good but, maybe not for me. The jury is still out and I will use it again and hopefully provide better feedback.

Huskee, I would be glad to have you as a next door neighbor.

Comment

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks Barry! The feeling is mutual. You're a fell swella.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here