Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huskee, you mention not to use with enhanced pork. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I can get around here. How would you adjust the amount of salt if you had to use enhanced pork?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
      Huskee, you mention not to use with enhanced pork. Unfortunately, that's the only thing I can get around here. How would you adjust the amount of salt if you had to use enhanced pork?
      Have you cooked that same pork before? Is it salted plenty when you eat it w/o adding your own? If so, just use it saltless and maybe add just a little dusting of salt with the rub to the surface. You'd have to play it by ear so as not to oversalt.

Comment

Bout to rock a pre-salted, pre-smoked (trimmed again), ham's world in the Pit Barrel with this stuff.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I missed that you were doing your ham with HRR. Allspice and no cumin? How'd it turn out?

Did a 8# boneless pork shoulder (From Costco) on New Years day using Huskee's rub. I used my Yoder YS640 to do the cook. I decided to try something different by following the temperatures that I recorded for the last pork butt I did on my PBC. The first hour temp 375. Turned down temp to 300 starting second hour. Third hour set at 250 for the rest of the cook. Foiled at 169 (stall) and finished at 203. Total time, 7hours 15 minutes. This is several hours less than my previous cooks on the Yoder at 225, which I knew it would be. The guests said that this was the best pulled pork I've made. Kudos to Huskee's rub!
        Mr. Meathead was right: Pork shoulder is a very forgiving piece of meat. I was going to cut the pork shoulder in half before cooking as suggested by many of you, but I was to lazy to hogtie two of them with butcher twine!

oldsteve

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks oldsteve, glad you liked it!

Huskee, I'm going to give your rib rub a whirl on the spare ribs I'm smoking this Saturday. Are you using light or dark brown sugar? Will the "small batch" be enough to cover 3 slabs? Thanks!

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Are you talking full spares or St Louis cut? I would suspect it would be enough. I would double it though to be safe. It's great on chicken too.

I use whichever I have in the cupboard for the brown sugar, I don't notice much difference honestly. I guess whichever color profile you think looks best!

Yes, full. But I'll be trimming them down to St Louis cut. OK then, I'll double it just to be sure. I have both light & dark brown. I was just wondering if the dark gave them a more "molasses-y" profile/taste rather than sweet. I take it that it can be stored without the brown sugar clumping because it's been pulverized after drying?

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          It might, I've never really taste tested. I also have done both for the topper and personally I don't notice a difference. Just sweet.

Originally posted by Smokin'Rick View Post
        Yes, full. But I'll be trimming them down to St Louis cut. OK then, I'll double it just to be sure. I have both light & dark brown. I was just wondering if the dark gave them a more "molasses-y" profile/taste rather than sweet. I take it that it can be stored without the brown sugar clumping because it's been pulverized after drying?
        Yes, as long as it's sealed air tight. I store mine in a shaker bottle but it will get a little clumpy after a while. The main batch I store in a ziplock rolled up like a burrito and burped of air (my version of vacuum packing), and it holds up very well like that.

Comment

• Smokin'Rick
          Smokin'Rick commented
          Editing a comment
          Excellent! I look forward to trying it and giving you the feedback.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I await your brutal honesty!

Huskee, you’ve got something here man! This rub is EXCELLENT!!!! Do you here the echo? You are correct; it does have a wonderfully perfect balance between spicy, savory, salty and sweet. I followed your instructions to the letter. The ribs were smoked for 6 hours in my Weber Performer charcoal grill without using the “crutch”. My son and his girlfriend joined my wife and me for dinner. And all of us were in agreement that they tasted fantastic thanks to the rub. A lot of lip smacking, mmmms, and yumms were heard during dinner. And oh, the luscious smells that filled the house were equally incredible. My wife heated up some store bought BBQ sauce for use on the side but none of us used any because the combination of your rub and the application of the additional dark brown sugar was all that was needed. We applaud you! My son’s girlfriend exclaimed that from now on whenever anyone says they’re going out for ribs she’ll say “Nah, no comparison.” I have to say as much as I enjoy MMD, your rub will become my go to rub going forward. The flavor profile seems very versatile too. Thanks for sharing your recipe with The Pit community. Here are a few photos from Saturday's cook. Enjoy!

Prepped with Huskee's rub & additional dark brown sugar and ready to be smoked!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1266.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	53979

Done! Ready to cut & serve

Name:	IMG_1273.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	53980

Cut and ready for eating. Check out that smoke ring baby!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1275.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	53981
        Last edited by Smokin'Rick; January 19, 2015, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Wow that's very high praise, thank you Rick!

Comment

• Smokin'Rick
            Smokin'Rick commented
            Editing a comment
            You're welcome. Truly deserved praise!

You da man, Huskee! You rub butts, breasts and thighs! OMG!

Comment

Any idea of what to do with the excess meat I trimmed off the spares? Because of the size of these spares I didn't have the room to put them on the grill without them being over the coals in my 2-zone setup.

Comment

I dice it up and use it for stir fry. It can be a pain with all those little cartilaginous bones to trim/cut around in the tips though.

Comment

• Smokin'Rick
                Smokin'Rick commented
                Editing a comment
                We haven't done stir-fry in sometime. But I assume that is the quickest way to cook it. So I will consider it. I was thinking that maybe I would use one of the other rib recipes on AR like Cabin Fever Slow Cooker Ribs, etc. or cooking them on the Performer. I like the slow cooker idea because I wouldn't have to babysit it. I want to do something worthwhile with these nice pieces of meat rather than toss them.
                Last edited by Smokin'Rick; January 19, 2015, 08:06 AM.

• Marauderer
                Marauderer commented
                Editing a comment
                They make great sweet and sour riblets.
                Last edited by Marauderer; January 19, 2015, 02:43 PM.

Thanks for your input Barry! I cut them in pieces, put some of Huskee's rub on, then browned them on both sides in the broiler and now they sit in the crockpot with some BBQ sauce, onions and potatoes beneath them. Kind of a riff on MH's Cabin Fever Slow Cooker Ribs recipe. We'll see what beomes of them.

Comment

@Huskee deserves a shout-out on this - but thought most of you might enjoy. My 7 year old daughter has started taking an interest in grilling. The other day she asked if we could do some ribs together. I took some out that I'd had freezing and let them defrost. She set up the minion on my Weber Kettle and we settled in.

Woke her up the next morning to help out with applying the rub before we got going. Here she is, post rub. She's proud of the dirty hands and you can see @Huskee's brown sugar technique.

Name:	IMG_3948.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	54251

About 5:30 later, they came off. To the victor go the spoils:

Name:	IMG_3950.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	54254

This is what the final product looked like (with a little help from the rest of the crew!)

Name:	IMG_3953.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	54255
                Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You go girly!

• Jon Solberg
                  Jon Solberg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  AWESOME!

• smarkley
                  smarkley commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome Chris! Doesn't get much better than that!

Huskee, I noticed that your rib rub recipe on page one does not include any chili powder. However, I have a printed copy for Huskee Rib Rub that I got somewhere online (but can't find it again), that is the same as your recipe on page one but also calls for 4 Tsp of chili powder. Do you include chili powder or not? Also, you cook unwrapped the entire time, right? Thanks, John
                Last edited by jlazar; February 12, 2015, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here