Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sugar doesn't burn on chicken? Or is it meant for low temp smoked chicken?

Comment

Originally posted by Ernest View Post
      If you have sugar in your rub keep temps at 275*F or less. Over 300*F and the bird will be black from the sugar over caramelizing.

Comment

I cook my birds at or about 325, for roughly two hrs (maybe 1:45 maybe 2:15) until the breasts are 160ish (165 recommended). As you can see from this pic they don't get black, they caramelize but they don't get black. I have heard of some others getting black birds after 2 hrs @ 325, but I never have. Here are two separate cooks to illustrate that point: These are both with my rib rub.

Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	24275

Name:	IMAG5146.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	24276

And here's a pretty cool but short video of it sizzling and dripping in the Yoder:

Comment

Thank you. Most of the birds that I cook are seasoned with salt and pepper or Penzey's Jerk chicken seasoning.

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you ever tried BBBR on chicken? I cannot remember if it was you & I discussing this but I tried it and it really gave it a Cajun spin, nice smokey spicy chicken.

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest ...

Penzey's is the bomb of a spice store. I have 1 a couple of miles from my house. I buy most of my spices there. It's fun to just look at all of their stuff.👍

That bird sure looks nice Huskee. The last time I done chicken they turn out black and the ribs that I had in the Lang with the chicken also was black. I'm pretty sure I found out what cause it. I have two piles of hickory logs (one season and one not) and I was unaware that I was using the pile that wasn't season. That's what happens when you have to many Bud Lites...

Comment

Originally posted by DWCowles View Post
            That bird sure looks nice Huskee. The last time I done chicken they turn out black and the ribs that I had in the Lang with the chicken also was black. I'm pretty sure I found out what cause it. I have two piles of hickory logs (one season and one not) and I was unaware that I was using the pile that wasn't season. That's what happens when you have to many Bud Lites...
            Thanks buddy. I've used apple wood that was only a few weeks old after cutting & splitting, and still didn't get the birds black. I can't imagine wet wood would do that, but maybe hickory is a different animal. I hear you on the beers. Especially on a hot summer day when they go down good, silliness reigns.

Comment

@Huskee - I tried this rub and here's the honest feedback.

My wife isn't a fan of the sweet - so I made half with the brown-sugar top layer and half without. I followed everything else to the letter.

1. She went with the non-brown sugar glaze. BUT...the vote was close.
              2. We love salt. I dry brined the night before, dusted them lightly before throwing them on and we felt they were a tad salty. That said, this was my favorite quote of the night: "nom, nom...[lip smack]..yeah, hon. maybe...[smack] maybe a little salty...but [bite chew] yeah...i can't stop eating [expletive] these things. so...[chew chew]...yeah...[licks fingers] I'd maybe um, a little less salt but...[reaches for another]...hang on..." So, I might separate out like @marauder mentioned. But with a review like that it seems hardly worth it!
              3. I loved the idea of glazing with the brown sugar. I didn't do it enough. I was a little timid. Next time - going all out.
              4. All respect to Mr. Meathead and his MD. I think this edges it out. Hit technique + your rub. Those might be the end all be-all last meal ribs!

I was happy I snapped the shot before they all disappeared!

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	27983

Comment

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the honest feedback. Did you use salt in the rub AND dry brine w/ salt separately? If so, that's likely why they were salty. I keep the salt in the rub and dry brine WITH the full rub. Lol, I love the narrative of the eating process, made me smile!

I dry brined with the full rub. I just had a thought though. They'd been in the freezer for a spell. I made 2 racks one day and saved the 3rd. It's entirely possible I salted them before throwing them in the freezer. I am...not that smart apparently. I wonder if that was it. No way to tell other than to make 'em again!

After watching the webinar on salting, my world has changed and I have stopped putting salt in rubs - other than yours. I have some left over so I'm going to see if that's exactly what I did. Seeming more and more likely the more I think about it

Comment

I'm going to modify this for my turkey. Wife does not like the S & G. Step-niece is allergic to the soy in Tony's. I'll reduce the sugar content and roll with it.

Comment

Looks good Huskee - that is one of the finest looking birds I have seen! I'll make a small batch and try on ribs and chicken this week and will give you honest feedback. Neither me, my wife or any of the people dinig with us were really blown away by the S&G on chicken - I used some fat split breasts as a dry run for a turkey and glad I did. Since no one was really happy with it I am thinking maybe I hosed the recipe somewhere. I might have left out the sugar, but I am going for a different rub for the turkey this year and your rub looks good. I really was hoping not just fall back on Tony Chachere's - needed to mix it up a bit and the sweetness in your recipe sounds like the ticket. I will do the dry brine with the salt in the rub as you suggest and report back next week when done. This definitely gives me a couple ideas to break the PBC in when it arrives next Friday. 😀
                  Last edited by HC in SC; November 24, 2014, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
                    I'm going to modify this for my turkey. Wife does not like the S & G. Step-niece is allergic to the soy in Tony's. I'll reduce the sugar content and roll with it.
                    Sounds like a plan JB. It is excellent on chicken if I do say so myself, but I too wondered about the sweetness on a turkey, although it really isn't SWEET, it just helps counteract the saltiness for a good balance....which is good since turkey historically isn't supposed to be sweet. It sure helps the skin with the maillard though. It might be a touch salty if you reduce the sugar too much, but please keep me updated!

Comment

Originally posted by HC in SC View Post
                      Looks good Huskee - that is one of the finest looking birds I have seen! I'll make a small batch and try on ribs and chicken this week and will give you honest feedback. Neither me, my wife or any of the people dinig with us were really blown away by the S&G on chicken - I used some fat split breasts as a dry run for a turkey and glad I did. Since no one was really happy with it I am thinking maybe I hose the recipe somewhere. I might have left out the sugar, but I am going for a different rub for the turkey this year and your rub looks good. I really was hoping not just fall back on Tony Chachere's - needed to mix it up a bit and the sweetness in your recipe sounds like the ticket. I will do the dry brine with the salt in the rub as you suggest and report back next week when done. This definitely gives me a couple ideas to break the PBC in when it arrives next Friday. 😀
                      Thanks a lot HC! For ribs I highly recommend following the technique in the top post. For chicken or pork butts I don't bother with extra brown sugar on top. With chicken, if the brining causes too much rub to melt off, I shake more on when placing in the smoker. I can't remember if the above says that or not (too lazy to scroll up, lol).

I've never done this on turkey, so i don't know if it will throw off the whole traditional turkey flavor or it would be a huge hit. I do know it is my family's favorite way to do chicken though....

I eagerly await your honest feedback. Even if you hate it, tell me I won't be offended.
                      Last edited by Huskee; November 24, 2014, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post

Sounds like a plan JB. It is excellent on chicken if I do say so myself, but I too wondered about the sweetness on a turkey, although it really isn't SWEET, it just helps counteract the saltiness for a good balance....which is good since turkey historically isn't supposed to be sweet. It sure helps the skin with the maillard though. It might be a touch salty if you reduce the sugar too much, but please keep me updated!

Don't worry, no salt is going in the rub. The fresh turkey was brined in a 5% solution, so I might give it a touch of brining over night.

Comment

• Huskee
                          Huskee commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'd give it a slight sprinkle of surface salt. I thought it was sweet & bland when I tried it the no salt & dry brine way.

Looks like my rub except I do not measure, I use chipotle powder instead of cayenne, toasted cumin seeds then ground (try this Huskee) and Mace.

Now is that whole sugar cookie necessary?

Comment

Now is that whole sugar cookie necessary?
                          People like to ask about that, ha ha. If you spoon your rub on or are only making a small batch and will use it right up, then no. I like to dry it out and grind it up because that makes it all dry and powdery and it won't clump in the shaker I use. Clumps in the shaker can clog the holes causing more salt to get through and ruin the rub by throwing of the balance. Using a spoon from a bowl or a bag would eliminate this as a concern. I've just posted what I do since it's what I do.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here