Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to try out this rub next week. Thanks for posting!

3Tbsp table salt would be how much coarse sea salt? What about fine sea salt?/

Thanks

Comment

Dutchness , you may want to look at Meathead's salt discussion here. You'll never go wrong with any salt if you use weight instead of volume.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks quite similar to mine, I blend my own chili powder from several of those 1 oz ground chillies. Gonna have to try the brown sugar coat at the end of my next rib cooking. When ever that is..

Comment

Thanks Kathryn.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Anytime.

Kathryn

I am about to make the rub. I will skip the step of using the layer of brown sugar since I don't like my ribs to be too sweet. That would leave me with 1/4 cup of white sugar left. Why would I use white over brown sugar?

Comment

Dutchness The brown adds a flavor layer that you don't get with the white. The color is from molasses. Short the white. Keep the brown.

Comment

Brown sugar in Holland doesn't contain Molasses but caramel to get the brown color.

I could still use the brown instead of the white yes

Comment

tons of different types of brown are available...light brown, dark brown, Demerara, turbinado and of course British muscovado... its all determined by the percentage of molasses.

Comment

They are not talking about BBQ but here are two interesting articles from Serious Eats about sugar. One talks about white vs. brown and the other about how cooking sugar at low temps changes it.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
                  Potkettleblack commented
                  Editing a comment
                  that caramelized sugar sounds like a worthwhile project for replacing the white sugar in MMD and Husky Rub (if it's there... I haven't checked the recipe).

I have tried your rub Huskee. Surprisingly it was too spicy.

I then made it again and halved the chili, added some mustard powder, allspice and paprika. It came out pretty good. However I find it really hard to notice the different spices once they have turned into a bark Not sure if I prefer this rub or Mephis Dust. Will keep on trying until I have an answer

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchness View Post
                  I have tried your rub Huskee. Surprisingly it was too spicy.

I then made it again and halved the chili, added some mustard powder, allspice and paprika. It came out pretty good. However I find it really hard to notice the different spices once they have turned into a bark Not sure if I prefer this rub or Mephis Dust. Will keep on trying until I have an answer
                  Thanks for trying. I do however state in the main post that if you skip the extra brown sugar topper that it can end up being too spicy or too salty. It's created to be fairly balanced.

Comment

My bad. No worries though. It's fun exploring.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Recipes do come from riffing on other recipes!

I haven't try Huskee's rib rub yet. I never think about it at the time I'm preparing the ribs Sorry Huskee I will try to use it when i do my next rib cook.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No apologies necessary, it's only a shared recipe. Not for everyone.

Ok Huskee. I decided to give your method a try this weekend. Let's just say, I'll be using this method for the foreseeable future. It really is great. The balance of spicy and sweet is great. I was concerned at first, but knew it was important to at least give it a try as is. I was really more excited to report that no sauce was needed on these ribs. The glaze produced is really one of a kind and compliments the ribs very well. These were only in for about 4 1/2 hours. I wish I'd had about another 45 minutes with them, but time would not allow.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_45954.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	370709
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_45955.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	370710

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170826_181414.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	370711

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cool, glad you like it! Two of my kids prefer Memphis Dust, but my oldest and my wife and I really like this method. It works with the dry brine separate method too.

• BigCountryQ
                      BigCountryQ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I did actually dry brine and opted to leave the salt out of the HRR. Mostly out of habit

I tried out this rub yesterday on some baby back ribs from Costco. I also had about a dozen short ribs from a local meat market that I used the BBBR on. I have an older Traeger and a 22” SNS with the additional raised grate. (Which I purchased since joining this site). Because of lack of room on Weber, I put 1 rack on Traeger with the rub and brown sugar and the beef ribs. On the Weber, I put the other 2 with 1 on top rack and 1 on bottom rack without the brown sugar. The wife doesn’t like the sweet. I used the original rub recipe. The Traeger quit on me about 1 1/2 hours into the cook. So I frantically cut up the ribs and stuffed them in the Weber on the top rack and threw the beef ribs on the bottom rack. Kept grill temperature between 220-240. I let them go for 5 hours. When I checked them the top rack was falling off the bone, the bottom rack had to go another hour. This was my first try with the SNS and the HRR. The brown sugar ones were everybody’s favorite. It really made a difference with the saltiness and was not overly sweet. I had brined with the rub overnight. Picture is the rack without brown sugar. Great rub, thanks for sharing Huskee. We will be using again but they will all have the brown sugar glaze.

Beef ribs came out absolutely horrible. The bark tasted great but I think the meat market sells old meat. Will not be going there again.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F3F9643C-9266-4CFB-97A3-418D7DB97170.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	4.46 MB ID:	728643
                    Last edited by Ronaldf123; August 11, 2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed! Sorry to hear about your Traeger (and the beef ribs).

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here