Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Huskee's Rib Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he deleted it by mistake when he updated the salt content a few weeks back. Good catch!

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
      Huskee, I noticed that your rib rub recipe on page one does not include any chili powder. However, I have a printed copy for Huskee Rib Rub that I got somewhere online (but can't find it again), that is the same as your recipe on page one but also calls for 4 Tsp of chili powder. Do you include chili powder or not? Also, you cook unwrapped the entire time, right? Thanks, John
      THANK YOU @jlazar! I have no idea how/when it got deleted, but it surely was a mistake and it definitely should be in there! I have edited the top post to reflect this error.

I wonder how many folks made it and didn't care for it w/o the chili powder! Oops!

Comment

I made it w/o the chili powder & do think it would make a big difference if added. Oh damn, now I'll have to cook another rack o ribs to check this out

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm so sorry Dr ROK, how embarrassing for me. I hope you liked it regardless. But I only assume it's a great thing that you can try it again!

• Dr ROK
          Dr ROK commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee, they were ribs, what's not to like. Yes they were very good, but I think the chili powder would have made them even better. No need for embarrassment. Simple mistake that could have happened to anybody.

Huskee,

I only noticed it because I was messing around last night trying to mix up a rub of my own.

Here is what I came up with:
        Brown Sugar 8 Tbs
        Cayenne Pepper 1 Tsp
        Chili Powder 1 1/2 Tsp
        Cumin Powder 2 Tsp
        Garlic Powder 4 Tsp
        Onion Powder 4 Tsp
        Oregano (dried) 2 Tsp
        Paprika 2 Tbs
        Pepper (ground black ) 1 Tbs
        Salt 4 Tsp
        Sugar (granulated) 3 Tbs

After I mixed this, I asked myself how it compared to some of the recipes on Amazing Ribs. Yours was one of the first I compared it to. Found it to be very similar in ingredients with the addition of mine having Paprika and Oregano and the amount of each ingredient being different. That's when I noticed the difference between the printed and online Huskee recipes.

Wish I could claim it was just because I am extra sharp -- but it was really just luck.

Comment

This site is soooo big i keep finding new stuff and trying to remember it all is getting hard.. Thank god i found the Follow button on top - silly me never noticed it before - I will have to try your rib rub - that brown sugar coating sounds awesome i like sweet..thanks for sharing.
          Last edited by Steve Vojtek; April 30, 2015, 05:48 AM.

Comment

I made a change to this recipe as noted in first post at top. I found higher grade spices to make this rub too chili-cumin-spicy flavored than what I intended. I halved the amounts of chili powder & cumin, and nixed the cayenne altogether as noted above.

Comment

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              I still like it the old way my man -- maybe I am just using cheap spices - lol. I still add a pinch of chipolte pepper to mine. Good stuff Huskee - this is durn near the only thing I use on butts and ribs anymore. when used with the mustard slather technique on a butt, the bark you get is like freaking candy!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              HC! good to hear from you it's been a while. And thank you! I have a habit of using any old spice from the supermarket, but at least this preface is there now. HC in SC

• HC in SC
              HC in SC commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopefully I get enough "Lang Bucks" for Xmas I can finally step up with you and DCowles. Sorry I haven't been around much between work and moving it has been a crazy year. I am still dry brining all things pork with this rub and may even try it on a practice smoked turkey for the holidays! This is a totally legit rub Aaron!

Note: you can skip the drying step IF you run the mixed product through (in batches of course) through a top-loader coffee mill. I've done this with MMD more than a month ago, and there has been no evidence of clumping... of course store in a DRY place in SEALED containers. The mix is very uniform and quite sprinkleable. I made a full batch of MMD and ran it all through the coffee mill (10-15 secs per batch). I expect it will work just as well here. Some small nuggets of brown sugar will remain but not many!

BTW I've bookmarked this page, and will be trying this out on the next set of ribs, Huskee!

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I've done that but drying it is best for long term non-clumping, but I supposes it varies how you store it and your location's humidity level. Hope you like it!

• mgaretz
              mgaretz commented
              Editing a comment
              While I have not tried Huskee's rub, when I make Memphis Dust I get around the brown sugar clumping issue by subbing turbinado sugar for all the sugar (white and dark).

• JPP
              JPP commented
              Editing a comment
              I've also used "brownulated" sugar with good results... since it's a mix of brown and while, I increase the quantity of brownulated and decrease accordingly the amount of white.

Thanks RichBrew for sharing an Excel file he made that includes automatic calculations for multiples, how convenient! The file is linked to in the first main post.

Comment

Huskee. Would you recommend your modified recipe if used with expensive spices, but the original recipe if just using normal grocery store spices? In other words, are you going just with the new recipe or do you feel there are now two options. Thanks, John

Also, the brown sugar coating means you don't apply any sauce the last hour, correct?
              Last edited by jlazar; March 14, 2016, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Finally going to give this a run today. I did drop the cumin. Well other than what's in the chili powder. Got my focus group all lined up. It's a good day to Q.

Comment

Originally posted by jlazar View Post
                  Huskee. Would you recommend your modified recipe if used with expensive spices, but the original recipe if just using normal grocery store spices? In other words, are you going just with the new recipe or do you feel there are now two options. Thanks, John

Also, the brown sugar coating means you don't apply any sauce the last hour, correct?
                  jlazar Sorry I missed this John. Yes that's how I made it for a long time was just with cheap spices and I used the blue directions then, but the upgraded expensive ones were more powerful. And correct, I don't sauce. The brown sugar makes a nice glaze. Sauce on the side but we haven't used sauce in a long time, they're quite flavorful without.

Comment

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    jlazar Correct, I don't crutch, I just go until the bend test passes, whether that's at 5 hrs or 7 or 8. I used to years ago when I thought I had to.

• jlazar
                    jlazar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Huskee. Did ribs with your rub this weekend. They were great (no sauce even on the table). Next time will back off a little on the cumin. This is a great rub and the brown sugar technique is a great balance.

• Huskee
                    Huskee commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks for the compliment jlazar glad you enjoyed it!

Originally posted by Jon Solberg View Post
                  Finally going to give this a run today. I did drop the cumin. Well other than what's in the chili powder. Got my focus group all lined up. It's a good day to Q.
                  I bet it will be just fine without it, especially since you don't like cumin then it will be even better! I look forward to your thoughts!

Comment

As anyone tried Paul Kirk's Dry Rib Rub?
                    Did 3 baby back racks with Dry brine & MMD
                    And 3 with Kirks rub (goes on night before so salt can penetrate)
                    Family were split 50-50, In-laws & cousins were openly arguing, yet asking when's the next family meat fest
                    Resulted in fun day wit the GMG

Comment

For those that like that kind of thing, I have taken the liberty of converting this recipe from a volume based to a weight based one:

Huskee's Rib Rub 2 (small batch) by weight
                      50 g white sugar
                      65 g brown sugar, dried (see note below on drying)
                      51 g salt (since measuring by weight, type of salt doesn't matter)
                      6 g chili powder
                      3 g ground cumin
                      3 g ground black pepper
                      4 g garlic powder
                      4 g onion powder
                      Optional 3 g cayenne pepper
                      important- top the racks with generous layer of brown sugar immediately before or after putting in the smoker.

For spicier rub, double cumin and chili powder and/or add the optional cayenne.
                      Last edited by Dewesq55; April 29, 2016, 02:09 PM. Reason: Corrected some typos

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        So, when I made it for this cook I ended up adding an additional tsp of my homemade chili powder and I added 2 Tablespoons of paprika for color because I felt like it.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks! I use Swype too for years and love it, but you can get going so fast it's easy to miss the Swypos. I don't think you'll notice the paprika when the ribs are cooked, the bark is pretty dark. Hope you like!

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm sure your right about the paprika. Odd just that I was doing EVERYTHING differently than I unusually do do o wasn't at least a familiar look to start out

Hmmmm, why does this remind of this meme?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Dewesq55
                        Dewesq55 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        NOOOO! I added one thing and tweaked an amount of another. I'm sure the recipe is great. Can't wait for dinner.

• richinlbrg
                        richinlbrg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Actually, Dewesq55 , I have NO doubt it will be GREAT!

Just couldn't resist the pic! I'll try harder next time.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here