Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All Purpose Rub Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All Purpose Rub Recipe

I really like Malcolm Reed's all purpose rub, and while I don't mind a guy making a buck or 2 the shipping cost for a little thing of S/P/GP is a deal killer for me. Do any of you have a simple all purpose rub recipe made of similar ingredients to share? I'm heading down the experimenting road, but if y'all have a shortcut I'd love to see it.

You can find some of his products on Amazon. I really like his AP rub too along with a bunch of others.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Hah!! I checked and ordered a 2 pack for $28 bucks! Still, a bit expensive for what it is, but it would cost almost $40 bucks from his online store. Thanks, Cap!!

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      And a whole lot more on Amazon. I really enjoyed McCormick's SPG

• captainlee
      captainlee commented
      Editing a comment
      I really gave up making rubs, there are a ton of great ones on the market. When we get over to Colorado Springs for a shopping spree and Costco the local BBQ store has so many to taste. So many rubs so little time.

I've been wanting to try Adam Perry Lang's "4 Seasons" AP rub...salt, pepper, garlicsalt and cayenne...

Comment

Meat Church all purpose is also good. We can get that at our local Ace Hardware. I agree with you on Malcom's AP seasoning. Very good.
      Last edited by DavidNorcross; July 16, 2022, 07:26 PM.

Comment

I can usually find it at local Academy stores, but I’m with you on paying steep prices for basic rubs.

Comment

OakRidge does amazing rubs and their shipping is reasonable. I think it was $6 for purchase under $35 purchase and free thereafter.

Comment

I always had good results with the AP rub from Pit Barrel Cookers. Just checked and it's $23 for a 2.5 lb. bag from Amazon Prime with "free" shipping. Buying that much just to try it is a bit of a gamble ... but if it's to your taste?

Last edited by MBMorgan; July 16, 2022, 08:30 PM.

Comment

6 parts kosher salt, 6 parts coarse black pepper, 2 part granulated garlic, 1 part msg

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                My man.

Walmart is selling Killer Hogs, Kosmo's, Heath Riles, Chupacabra and many other big name brands. Malcolm's ap rub I just picked up for $8.88 .

Comment

• CaptainMike
                CaptainMike commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! I'll have my personal Walmart shopper check it out!

• Dadof3Illinois
                Dadof3Illinois commented
                Editing a comment
                CaptainMike I just picked up a bottle for 8.99 at Walmart a couple weeks ago. They carry this and his "The BBQ Rub" in my area now.

Originally posted by CaptainMike View Post
              I really like Malcolm Reed's all purpose rub, and while I don't mind a guy making a buck or 2 the shipping cost for a little thing of S/P/GP is a deal killer for me. Do any of you have a simple all purpose rub recipe made of similar ingredients to share? I'm heading down the experimenting road, but if y'all have a shortcut I'd love to see it.
              He's posted his basic recipe in his videos. 1 cup salt, 1/2 cup granulated garlic, 1/4 cup coarse pepper

Comment

My all purpose rub is equal parts of Kosher salt, black pepper, paprika, granulated garlic, and granulated onion. I tweet it in different directions for different cooks. For example for sweet ribs I mix equal parts of the rub and brown sugar.

Comment

Why on earth would anybody pay for SPG?

Comment

• CaptainMike
                    CaptainMike commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It's not the SPG, it's the calcium stearate and refined soybean oil!

Malcolm Reed's rubs are carried by most stores in our area and sell for $8.99. Try Atwoods, Ace Hardware, Academy Sports, Walmart, Lowes, and grocery stores.

Comment

Captain my all purpose rub is, 2 parts granulated garlic, 2 parts lemon pepper, 2 parts Cavenders Greek seasoning, 1 part Lawry’s seasoned salt, 1 part corn starch. The corn starch is a trick I picked up from Tom Perini in his first cookbook. It will make your rub adhere much better. Tom’s Perini Ranch Steak House is an incredible place it is just south of Abilene at Buffalo Gap, Tx. He was ready to bring Texas BBQ to Washington DC. He was all set up at the White House and ready to go on the morning of 9-11.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here