Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

North African Inspired Rub: Great for fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North African Inspired Rub: Great for fish

Came up with this rub a few years ago for cooking seafood Mediterranean style. It's great on salmon or other firm saltwater fish

1 tbsp garlic powder
    1 tbsp paprika
    1 tsp cumin
    3/4 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

Coat fish lightly with olive oil, then coat liberally with rub. Cook as desired. Serve with couscous, tabbouleh salad, cucumber and tomato salad, other sides from North Africa. Fresh and bright is the way to go.

MsTwiggy as promised

I'm putting it in my little black book 🤩🔥🔥🔥🐿

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Just reminding Panhead John that it’s the bee’s knees

Well, then. I think I'll be pulling a piece of halibut out of the freezer. Maybe add a touch of Ras al Hanout.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I just pulled out some halibut too!

I was looking for a blackening type rub for griddle cooking some fish after seeing Panhead John do some, and this will fit the bill nicely! Thanks ecowper - saved to Paprika.

Comment

Man, this is good. I made a couple of small changes. I added maybe 1/8 tsp of garam masala (since the ras al hanout has apparently wandered off to the back of the pantry. Again), about 1 tsp of gochugaru, Aleppo pepper would work also. And a couple cracks of black pepper.

Comment

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        I often add a bit of my ras el hanout to this just before going on the fish. I also use it on chicken and lamb. This could have more pepper (like you suggest) but I use it as a base. If it is just Stacy and I, in goes more heat. If I have friends coming, then I stick with the base rub.

One note, you can use whatever paprika you like, of course. And I don't specify in the rub. But I really think getting a good Spanish Paprika from Spice Jungle (or similar) is solid for this particular rub rather than a Hungarian Paprika.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I have Spanish paprika, and smoked paprika. Which one do I want to use in this rub if I am making some fish tonight?

• ecowper
        ecowper commented
        Editing a comment
        jfmorris sorry I didn’t see this earlier. To be true to the North African inspiration,use a Spanish paprika

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here