Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bay Leaf Conversion: Whole to Powdered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bay Leaf Conversion: Whole to Powdered

One version of the S&G rub recipe calls for 10 bay leaves, another calls for 1 Tb dried crushed. I have powdered. Can someone please help me with the conversion? Thanks

Sounds like a job for Google.

FWIW, here's one conversion I found there:

One fresh bay leaf = two dried bay leaves.
    One dried bay leaf = ¼ tsp ground bay leaves.
    One fresh bay leaf = ½ tsp ground bay leaves.

Kathryn

Comment

How do you remove ground Bay Leaves at the end of the cook?
      Last edited by bbqLuv; October 17, 2021, 07:34 AM.

Comment

• 58limited
        58limited commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't care who you are, that's funny.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        If you are serious, the only reason to remove bay leaves is because they can become brittle and a choking hazard. The Bay, Indian, and California Laurel plants sold whole or powdered is not toxic. The similar English/Cherry/ Mountain laurel are toxic but those plants aren’t sold as a food ingredient in Western countries. So if you decide you have a laurel bush growing outside your house and think "I’ll use that instead of going to the store," just don’t. Buy the little jars.

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Donw "If you are serious"
        Of course, I am serious, PBR serious.
        That is good to know.

Thanks, Kathryn, and right you are! I hadn't been able to find the answer when I posted my question. Thanks for your rapid reply--I'll be making the rub soon. And bbqluv, if you're serious with your question, I assume with a good spice grinder (I use the Cuisinart SG-10) you can grind them so fine you avoid the issue. Buying powdered accomplishes the same thing!
      Last edited by fkrall; October 18, 2021, 06:21 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here