Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Salt & Pepper Only: Play Action Fake of the Barbecue World?" Jeremy Yoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Salt & Pepper Only: Play Action Fake of the Barbecue World?" Jeremy Yoder

Salt & Pepper Only: Play Action Fake of the Barbecue World? - YouTube

For those wondering, these are the rub Proportions John Lewis left in the comment:
    8 parts coarse ground pepper
    3 parts Lawry's
    3 parts kosher salt (I would recommend diamond crystal as it is less salty, but he may use morton’s)
    1 part granulated garlic.
    Rub it down with a half and half mixture of hot dog mustard and pickle juice first before sprinkling the rub on.
    Also, I’m fairly certain he uses dill pickle juice. As far as "parts," I think you just need to use the same volumetric measurement.

E.g.
    8 TBSP Black Pepper
    3 TBSP Lawry’s
    3 TBSP Kosher Salt
    1 TBSP Granulated garlic
    You could do this with 8 cups black pepper, 3 cups Lawry’s etc. You could even do it with gallons if you’re really ambitious. Just make sure the measure is the same.

Taken from his youtube channel and postings.
    Last edited by bbqLuv; September 22, 2021, 07:04 AM.

Wow! Talk about meat sweats! Thanks for sharing. I love Mad Scientist but missed this one. I will definitely give this a try!

Comment

"This is having me question my life choices"

Comment

Thank you for posting this here! I saw this soon after it came and read the referenced article. I'm looking forward to trying the approach. Jeremy uses brisket, but I wonder if it would be good on ribs too.

Comment

• Murdy
          Murdy commented
          Editing a comment
          or a chuckie

Interesting and torturous all at the same time, those were righteous cooks all looked fantastic.
        There's no right answer here.
        His wife liked BBBR, he liked Lawry's and no one was walking away from S&P.
        I'm going to hazzard a guess they went with a kosher pickle juice, dill can be pretty strong at times I think it would have shown in the final product. Need clarification on that item.

Comment

I agree S&P is mighty fine, nuthin wrong with it on its own. But it's like black & white TV- does the job, adequate. Other herbs and seasonings simply color in the lines to add even more character.

My personal favorite is a mix of a Heaven Made Products' brisket rub and Meathead's BBBR. The kick of BBBR and the umami of Heaven Made to me is awesome. But really to me it's like beers or pizza toppings- there are 10 pizzas I love, 20 beers, how do I pick a favorite combo...Saul Goodman.

Comment

Wow! This is eye opening for sure. I've yet to do a salt and pepper "Dalmatian rub" brisket, and probably won't, as I feel garlic and onion powder and other things help.

Last brisket I made my BBBR was all clumped up in the jar, and I ended up using Montreal Steak as my rub, and the results were great.

Comment

It seems to me like Franklin is living rent free in the Mad Scientist's head. When does he do a test adding in Waygu tallow?

Comment

• JoeSousa
                JoeSousa commented
                Editing a comment
                He did this a couple months back. I tried adding some tallow once. It did make the outside of the brisket a bit more glossy and appetizing and gave a bit different mouth feel but I don't think it really did anything for the flavor.

Interesting interview, I think this was referenced in the video

Interview: John Lewis of La Barbecue – Texas Monthly

Comment

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Very Interesting indeed.

Said he never used just salt and pepper ever. "Lawry’s seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, mustard and pickle juice."
                Including at Aaron Franklin's BBQ. " I did want to add that I’ve never cooked a brisket in my life whether it be at La Barbecue, at Franklin Barbecue or on the competition circuit with just salt and pepper. I have yet to do that."

I have read similar statements about Texas BBQ in "Legends of Texas Barbecue"
                Last edited by bbqLuv; September 22, 2021, 01:18 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here